I am in the middle of buying a property and it has no HIP or EPC.

I was told that because the marketing date for the property is more than a year old, EPC or HIP not needed. Is that possible??

If its been advertised before the Aug 08 HIP inception date then it doesnt need one, but I think it may need an EPC, although I wouldn't worry about this for what good they are. More importantly, make certain that the boundaries (if a house) are well defined and undisputed.

Thanks for the reply. This is 10 years old house and I assume the boundaries are well defined and this is my solicitor's job to find out.

You can always ask your solicitor to find out about loft insulation, boiler type etc, or simply ask the owner yourself. As its only ten years old then there shouldn't be any boundary problems, but generally, as you know, solicitors never make a personal inspection of the property, they just look at the filed plan on the Land Certificate. On more mature properties the neighbours do all sorts of things to the boundaries that never appear on the filed plan! Good luck with your purchase.