Would you claim expenses if it were legal but possibly not moral?

Lets imagine a scenario.

You work for a company in Sheffield, and they advise you need to travel to an office in Rotherham for a Seminar. You are allowed to take a taxi, and claim the money back on provision of a receipt.

The taxi journey costs £20, and ends up being split between you and a mate who also happens to be working in Rotherham that day. The mate isn't fussed about claiming the money back.

Do you claim the £20 or £10 back? Or do you actually ask for a recipet for £25 and pocket the difference?

You missed the other option which is the one I would take, which is, to say to my mate "It's OK I'll pay this, I'm on expences."

You missed the other option which is the one I would take, which is, to say to my mate "It's OK I'll pay this, I'm on expences."

Oh, if the mate is not working in the same company,then I would claim it, and then either give it back, or treat him next time. Same source of where it came from, and it should go back that way.

I think everyone takes advantage of the perks of the job they are in. I don't think we should be shocked at the costs that MPs get, quite frankly they don't get paid a huge amount for what they do (sorry but they don't!) and so must do it for some personal reasons.

There is a difference between stealing fraud and using every penny you are entitled to. I got a meal allowance when i claimed expenses so i used it, my wages weren't that great and it was a perk of my job. Sometimes I'd get stuff from marks and spencer and eat the rest of the food later in the day. I still kept within my allowance, it's just i chose not to go to a restaurant. If I'd been paid to go somewhere and i wasn't working the day after, I'd stay on and use my ticket to come back the following day, or stop off and see a friend on the way back. I used to collect privilige points from some of the hotels and use these to have nights away for myself. How many of you buy the tea and coffee for work and put the nectar points on your own card?

The job I'm in now... none of those sorts of perks at all but i suppose i get unlimited matchmakers at Christmas. :rolleyes:

Personally I think the system should be that they can claim up to a certain amount - and just like you spend your money how you like, they can spend that amount how they like. I'm not 100% sure how it works at the moment but I think the big outrage is a bit silly, these people aren't the sort who would shop at Lidl anyway so why compare them to someone who does?

Well you are wrong; lots of people do not act like pigs at the trough.

I have been unemployed for the longest period yet; a year, so I keep busy with voluntary work. I could claim cash for expenses: bus fares ECT but as it is a charity I don't. I am no saint, nor am I unusual.

One MP on radio last week called for workers to be paid below the minimum wage, to assist during the credit crunch, a caller asked would he accept this same payment his answer a straight NO.

Whilst many people are really struggling to make ends meet, some MPs are claiming reimbursement for food.

What other job would pay your wages then pay you again for the food you buy.

Most of us work to get paid to be able to buy food to live.

These MPs are just taking everything they can: greedy buggers

Edited by Whatif wewin

Well you are wrong; lots of people do not act like pigs at the trough.

I have been unemployed for the longest period yet; a year, so I keep busy with voluntary work. I could claim cash for expenses: bus fares ECT but as it is a charity I don't. I am no saint, nor am I unusual.

One MP on radio last week called for workers to be paid below the minimum wage, to assist during the credit crunch, a caller asked would he accept this same payment his answer a straight NO.

Whilst many people are really struggling to make ends meet, some MPs are claiming reimbursement for food.

What other job would pay your wages then pay you again for the food you buy.

Most of us work to get paid to be able to buy food to live.

These MPs are just taking everything they can: greedy buggers

I admire your conviction and it's obviously a charity you are passionate about. I'd be (and have been) the same about claiming the expenses back in that situation. Good luck with finding a job.

But...

I don't think you can compare that situation akin to politicians claiming for food. You are choosing to do this, noone is forcing you. At the end of the day, that is their job.

Lots of people get reimbursed for meal expenses when travelling away from home. It is frustrating when you are out of work to see others having an easier life (I've been out of work in the last five years myself) but again- it's not a job i'd want to do for the salary they get and I think possibly a salary payment should be paid rather than expenses then they can choose what they want to do with it.

Someone said the other day "if these 'expenses' weren't available then you'd only get rich people doing the job" but why would that be the case? Surely people do the job of MP because they want to do it and are able to manage on the salary offered? Why do some people do the horrible jobs that no-one else wants to do? It's often not because the pay and perks are good is it?

People choose to be MP's for a variety of reasons but simply because it's a good job with great perks should not be one of them. They should get the same sort of expenses as people in any other job get - lots of people have to work away from home those on Oil Rigs for example, firefighters work long shifts, etc etc but no-one other than MP's can claim for the things they've been claiming for. Yes it is a total outrage and is utterly disgusting. Lots of people do not claim for expenses they're entitled to and i've no doubt lots of people take advantage of the systems around them, it's not unusual behaviour. It is, however, wrong. As for those who have claimed for mortgages that were paid up ages ago, that's out and out fraud and they should be facing charges for it. For us 'ordinary' folk who have a morgage, can you imagine not realising it was paid up?! I'll be cracking open a bottle of champagne (if I can afford one in 18 years time).

As for those who have claimed for mortgages that were paid up ages ago, that's out and out fraud and they should be facing charges for it.

Out of curiousity, do you think these people should be prosecuted as well.

"The middle classes are turning to crime in the belief they have been victimised research finds.

More than 60% of people surveyed in England and Wales admitted they had exaggerated an insurance claim, paid cash to avoid tax or kept money when given too much change.

But they would not consider themselves criminals, scientists told a science conference in Salford.

Such forgery and fraud is costing Britain £14bn a year."

I admire your conviction and it's obviously a charity you are passionate about. I'd be (and have been) the same about claiming the expenses back in that situation. Good luck with finding a job.

But...

I don't think you can compare that situation akin to politicians claiming for food. You are choosing to do this, noone is forcing you. At the end of the day, that is their job.

Lots of people get reimbursed for meal expenses when travelling away from home. It is frustrating when you are out of work to see others having an easier life (I've been out of work in the last five years myself) but again- it's not a job i'd want to do for the salary they get and I think possibly a salary payment should be paid rather than expenses then they can choose what they want to do with it.

Some of the food claims have been for more than lower wage earners have to spend on everything.

You did not answer the one about the MP wanting others to work beloe the minimum wage , yet would not himself.

I think we are missing the point, it was OUR money they were claiming(fiddling).

MP's need to be sacked and prosecuted, it sends out the wrong message if these people are seen has being above the law.

The question should'nt be, would you abuse your expenses but rather what would you do if someone opened your purse and stole your money, and then to add insult to injury, laughed in your face.

As a small business owner, I expect honesty from those I employ as a minimum and in return, I with my husband live within our means to ensure that those who we employ are our first priority.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you - works both ways.

I think we are missing the point, it was OUR money they were claiming(fiddling).

MP's need to be sacked and prosecuted, it sends out the wrong message if these people are seen has being above the law.

The question should'nt be, would you abuse your expenses but rather what would you do if someone opened your purse and stole your money, and then to add insult to injury, laughed in your face.

As a small business owner, I expect honesty from those I employ as a minimum and in return, I with my husband live within our means to ensure that those who we employ are our first priority.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you - works both ways.

Out of curiousity, do you think these people should be prosecuted as well, after all they are stealing our money as well.

"The middle classes are turning to crime in the belief they have been victimised research finds.

More than 60% of people surveyed in England and Wales admitted they had exaggerated an insurance claim, paid cash to avoid tax or kept money when given too much change.

But they would not consider themselves criminals, scientists told a science conference in Salford.

Out of curiousity, do you think these people should be prosecuted as well, after all they are stealing our money as well.

OH, ok then, if the scientists says its ok, it must be!:confused:

The point that Government apologists like Titanic are conveniently forgetting is that MPs are answerable to us.

If Titanic wants to fiddle his expenses then if he is caught, he'll face a disciplinary process enacted by his employers.

If MPs fiddle theirs, there is no process except public condemnation and the threat of losing their seat/job. What we are seeing is the disciplinary process for MPs in action and it's long overdue. Trying to defend it on the basis of what happens in other organisations is misguided or at worst deceitful.

The biggest problem in answering your question is what each individual person regards as 'morally right'.

I have, over the years, had jobs where I have claimed expenses. Now, while I have not abused the system to the extent that some MP's appear to have done, I am sure others might think I have made claims that were, in their opinion, morally suspect.

I also know that, if the claim were viewed simply on paper - i.e. a receipt for a meal in a hotel - many of those who are screaming indignantly at the MP's would do exactly the same towards me.

The biggest problem is that those condemning the MP do not care for 'why' - they see the 'facts' in black and white and draw their own conclusions based on their own perception of what is morally just and their own bias (that is, in the case of the MP's, I'm sure many probably didn't have a very high regard for them in the first place, no doubt calling them a 'bunch of liars').

In short, I am sure, in other people's eyes, I have made expenses claims that were not morally just.