Whoopee - we now have two "smoking pubs"!

it's £1.98 in my local.

I'd pay 3-quid if I could have a fag with my pint..

Birley Hotel - a friend of mine (a rock singer) up from his home in Devon called in at his old haunt on Monday night to find it packed out with all (very) elderly people on a karaoke night, says it was great, especially excellent pint of Stones at £1.58 a pint. Seems some pubs can do it.

My personal opinion is that smokers and non-smokers alike should be left with the choice of where to go to either go to drink and smoke, or drink and not smoke respectively.

I'm also am in favour of any pub with a restaurant being 100% no smoking.

The decline of the good old British pub has taken yet another downturn because of the ruling, declining customer numbers, resulting in increased bar pricing etc, but if there were establishments that catered for both smokers and non, and those that catered for smokers made it blatantly obvious, then surely this would satisfy all concerned?

There are cases for and against, it's just my opinion...

Footnote:

Yes I smoke. I do it because I like it. Others don't because they don't like it. Because others don't, I don't judge them. I shouldn't be judged because I do. It is not an illegal act, don't therefore persecute me for my choice. I respectfully refrain from smoking in the presence of non smokers, and am happy to do so.

My personal opinion is that smokers and non-smokers alike should be left with the choice of where to go to either go to drink and smoke, or drink and not smoke respectively.

I'm curious - how long have you held those views. I don't remember many people saying that prior to 2007 no all of a sudden smokers are in favour of this choice.

dont have a bar in the smoking room' date=' so the only people that have to put up with the smoke are the smokers or the people who dont mind, have a set of double doors entering the smoking room, with extractor fans both in the smoking room and in the void between the set of double doors. im not too fussed about smokers myself, i can see why people dont like it, but at the moment when ever im sat in a beer garden, i still end up smelling of smoke and i still get mouth fulls of smoke when entering a pub from the people at the front (or hiding from the weather in the doorway), and when im out with friends that are smokers, i have the choice of sitting on my own inside the pub, or to stand in an over crowded smoking area breathing in a probably higher concentrated smoke than if smoking was allowed inside with good ventilation.[/quote']

I can see a case for what i would call smoking toilets. They would operate much like a pub toilet currently operates, ie a room seperate from the rest of the pub where people go for a specific function and then return to the main body of the pub when they have finished. A trade off for this though would have to be no smoking outside pubs in beer gardens etc in much the same way as people are currently not permitted to defecate in a beer garden.

it should have never been put into action anyway, the government can make tax of selling cigarettes but they have to control where we smoke aswell!!!!

it should have never been put into action anyway, the government can make tax of selling cigarettes but they have to control where we smoke aswell!!!!

And they wonder why people are buying/smuggling cigarettes:rolleyes:

How is that workable?

With only non-smoking staff working the non-smoking rooms, and smokers working the smoking rooms presumably? And some magic barrier that stops the smoke from getting between the rooms?

Take the Washington pub for example, it was built in the Victorian era, and like many other pubs still reamining it was purposely built and split into two rooms, this was to cater for smokers and non smokers, it is a very simple effective solution, done way before passive smoking was even invented!

The point captain_scarlet is that having a smoking room will not magically stop smoke from getting into the non smoking room.

And if you believe that that's having a go then you've got a very thin skin and probably shouldn't get involved in debate.

yeah like the minuteness whisp of cigarette smoke is going to wipe out every non smoker when a door opens

I'm sure it won't be long before the government close this loop hole in the law.

Sorry, couldnt see where the list of 50 pubs... sorry research labs were, could anyone please point out any confirmed locations in sheffield, will be going to show my support.

Thanks