Whoopee - we now have two "smoking pubs"!

Precisely, smokers are being put off. Why go to a pub with those prices and not be able to smoke. Though it is only a factor, the mere no smoking deters patronage. Non-smokers and outdoor smokers are not able to maintain pubs alone. In the preferred atmosphere, no only would smokers increase profit but it would encourage outdoor non-smokers to spend more. Thinking of visits alone is narrow minded, people in house also need to spend more.

Where are all these smokers at the moment? I've not seen any evidence that people are staying at home solely because they can't smoke in their local pub, but lots that people are not happy with paying the current prices and would rather pay Tesco's for beer than the Pubco's.

If there was a large number of smokers sat at home waiting desperately for the day they could go and smoke in a pub again, the Cutting Edge and other pubs would have had queues round the block of people going out of their way to go there. Instead, they had an extra 10 or 20 people turn up. To me that says 10 or 20 people who would have gone to other pubs went there, not that 10 or 20 people who've not been to the pub in 2 years turned up. I don't believe (please, prove me wrong) that even a single person went to the Cutting Edge during their week of smoking that has been avoiding pubs since the smoking ban came in because they couldn't smoke there.

Anyway, do you really believe, and have any proof to back up, that pubs are actually closing because people can't smoke there, as opposed to pubs pricing themselves out of the market? I personally know lots of smokers who are spending less time in the pub than a few years ago, because it's cheaper, and more pleasant for them to spend the time at home drinking. None of them would blame it on the smoking ban, but that they get better value for money staying at home, and being able to smoke at home is a side benefit, not the reason for doing so.

The point captain_scarlet is that having a smoking room will not magically stop smoke from getting into the non smoking room.

And if you believe that that's having a go then you've got a very thin skin and probably shouldn't get involved in debate.

i used to run pubs in sheffield(in the days when there were old fashioned tenancies) with tetleys, and as far as i recall, the law was that public houses as they were called were not actually public, and that no one had a automatic right ,entrance was at the invitation of the licencsee who could refuse service to anyone without having to give a reason,unless the person took the licensee to court. hence no smoking (if this law still )applies)should not be able to be enforced

Non-smokers and outdoor smokers are not able to maintain pubs alone.

So why can't smokers just go to the pub and not smoke? Nobody is forcing them to stay at home and as far as I'm aware there is no medical condition that says you must smoke and drink at the same time.

I like to eat with a drink, but sometimes don't want to pay for a meal in a pub.

But I don't sneak in a sandwich or eat one outside. I wait until I get home, or get something to eat on the way home.

While supermarkets continue to offer excellent ale prices (£1 for a bottle of Grolsch or £1.49 for a bottle of real ale, and a great selection is available) then that's the real reason people are staying in.

there are MANY reasons many pubs are struggling or closing the smoking ban HAS had an effect however small it is its still there, also the current economic climate isnt helping that combined with rising prices for alcohol in pubs is definately putting people off. i personaly would rarther go to town than a local now as it doesnt cost all that much more than a night in the local and in town there is more choice on where to go.

MR BENN; Calendar have tonight reported another 50 pubs in Yorkshire alone are going to open a `smoking research room`

Perhaps it would be helpful if these pubs posted a prominent notice at the door so non-smokers could choose whether to enter or not.

Yep. What the world needs more than anything is more warning signs to help us protect ourselves from ourselves.

It certainly does, it might read; ENTER AT YOUR PERIL!

Two relatives of mine, a man and his wife, were refused further treatment by their Sheffield hospital unless they stopped their heavy smoking, a habit which had almost certainly caused the serious conditions that both are now suffering.

Then cigarettes should be taxed at a much lower rate, seeing how smoking contributes an awful lot towards the treasury - to the point where smokers pay in over 3 times what is required for their treatment.

I doubt if the government can be persuaded to to do that sccux. However, to use an analogy, if a person repeatedly hits his thumb with a hammer there's a limit to how many times the NHS will keep sticking plasters on, even if he's already paid for them. Many moons ago, I drank and smoke with the rest of them, but if pubs ever did revert to their former status then I would simply choose not to be a customer and leave it to the protagonists to strike their compromise.

I know people in the brewing industry aswell, Takings were up over 3 times when pubs allowed people to smoke.

the sensible compromise would be to let a certain amout of pubs be proper designated smoking pubs, and make staff aware of this when they apply for a job.

40 pubs closing every week accross the country. The time to stop this is now before it's too late.

I know people in the brewing industry aswell, Takings were up over 3 times when pubs allowed people to smoke.

But beer was much cheaper back before the ban. It's going on for at least £3 a pint in many places now.