Whoopee - we now have two "smoking pubs"!

pubs and clubs have to do some thing to keep going

i agree and smoke gets under the doors.

I think smoking should be banned in all public places so that would mean you could only smoke in your own home, and all this rubbish that the government needs the tax from cigs, yep it does for the treatment of smoke related illnesses. Smokers do not realize how selfish they are.

Wouldn't a more workable solution be for smoking to only be permitted underwater?

Wouldn't a more workable solution be for smoking to only be permitted underwater?

;) Now, that's a solution I like! :D;)

dont have a bar in the smoking room, so the only people that have to put up with the smoke are the smokers or the people who dont mind, have a set of double doors entering the smoking room, with extractor fans both in the smoking room and in the void between the set of double doors. im not too fussed about smokers myself, i can see why people dont like it, but at the moment when ever im sat in a beer garden, i still end up smelling of smoke and i still get mouth fulls of smoke when entering a pub from the people at the front (or hiding from the weather in the doorway), and when im out with friends that are smokers, i have the choice of sitting on my own inside the pub, or to stand in an over crowded smoking area breathing in a probably higher concentrated smoke than if smoking was allowed inside with good ventilation.

dont have a bar in the smoking room' date=' so the only people that have to put up with the smoke are the smokers or the people who dont mind, have a set of double doors entering the smoking room, with extractor fans both in the smoking room and in the void between the set of double doors. im not too fussed about smokers myself, i can see why people dont like it, but at the moment when ever im sat in a beer garden, i still end up smelling of smoke and i still get mouth fulls of smoke when entering a pub from the people at the front (or hiding from the weather in the doorway), and when im out with friends that are smokers, i have the choice of sitting on my own inside the pub, or to stand in an over crowded smoking area breathing in a probably higher concentrated smoke than if smoking was allowed inside with good ventilation.[/quote']

About to say the same, however it appears many non smokers and smokers will never agree.:thumbsup:

Is this thread still going on? Thought all you smokers would have died form lung cancer by now!

People keep saying that something needs to be done to stop pubs and clubs from closing, and that re-allowing smoking is that thing. Can someone please explain that to me? It's not like thousands more people are going to start coming out a spending in the pubs and clubs if they can have a smoke while there. If a few pubs, like these did, allow smoking, yes they will see an increase in custom, at the expense of other local pubs. If those other local pubs then allow smoking as well to bring their customers back, the first pubs will be back in stage one, and strugglling to make ends meet.

Nobody has enough money and the pubco's are trying to squeeze every pence of profit they can out of the pubs - that's why they're closing, not that there's millions of smokers sat at home going "I wish I could go to the pub" not buying thier beer.

Nobody has enough money and the pubco's are trying to squeeze every pence of profit they can out of the pubs - that's why they're closing, not that there's millions of smokers sat at home going "I wish I could go to the pub" not buying thier beer.

At least £2.50 for a pint of orange juice, I agree with you

I'm not with you, the door opens after use it closes. Do you expect a typhoon or something?

Unless it's some sort of airlock at the point when it's open smoke will drift through.

Unless it's some sort of airlock at the point when it's open smoke will drift through.
I'm not seeing your point, there's a little drift? Isn't there a little drift if there are no smokers? We're talking about pubs, not the international space station, they aren't air tight. Don't go having a go at me, I never said I smoked in pubs or even smoked.
Precisely, smokers are being put off. Why go to a pub with those prices and not be able to smoke. Though it is only a factor, the mere no smoking deters patronage. Non-smokers and outdoor smokers are not able to maintain pubs alone. In the preferred atmosphere, no only would smokers increase profit but it would encourage outdoor non-smokers to spend more. Thinking of visits alone is narrow minded, people in house also need to spend more.

I assume that all these people wanting freedom of choice are OK to pick up the full cost of their eventual treatment by the NHS? .

Two relatives of mine, a man and his wife, were refused further treatment by their Sheffield hospital unless they stopped their heavy smoking, a habit which had almost certainly caused the serious conditions that both are now suffering.

Two relatives of mine, a man and his wife, were refused further treatment by their Sheffield hospital unless they stopped their heavy smoking, a habit which had almost certainly caused the serious conditions that both are now suffering.

this is happening more and more, i agree if you have a smoking related illness and you need treatment then you have to do so much for yourself, because it is going to be a waste of money, resources and time taken up. They should go as far as not treat drug and alcohol related illnesses as well.