Whitbreads brewery

Hi Steven - I worked with your mom and do you mean Linda May? It was such a great place to work.

Send my best xx

my mum remembers linda may but it was linda humphries who gave me lots of photos of whitbreads, whats your name? I will tell my mum, i should put some of the photos of the whitbread dinner and dances on here for people to look back at

steven :)

hi i used to work for a garage in the 60s/7s and we often used to go there to repair their lorrys and trucks and during break times and lunch we would go to the canteen with other workers and drank free of charge and as much as we wanted a beer which i am sure was called amber light but i dont think it was very strong

my mum remembers linda may but it was linda humphries who gave me lots of photos of whitbreads, whats your name? I will tell my mum, i should put some of the photos of the whitbread dinner and dances on here for people to look back at

steven :)

Hi - yes I know Linda H well too, she gave us all a pic of the Brewery before it was demolished. :(

Both smashing ladies

I will PM you my name

Hi

I found this thread by accident, but I was thrilled to see my Dad, Les Garforth, mentioned a few times. I used to spend Saturday mornings at Millsands with my Dad in the early 60s. I remember Jack Ford, the Rudges and the Turtons. I also remember the lovely ladies who used to pat me on the head and augment my pocket money every week! My dad worked there from 1959, when he left the army, until his 65th birthday in 1977. He used to return every Thursday to pay his money to the pools syndicate until his death in 1983. My first job on leaving school in 1975 was in the office at Shepcote Lane. Lovely memories.....thanks x

Hi

I found this thread by accident, but I was thrilled to see my Dad, Les Garforth, mentioned a few times. I used to spend Saturday mornings at Millsands with my Dad in the early 60s. I remember Jack Ford, the Rudges and the Turtons. I also remember the lovely ladies who used to pat me on the head and augment my pocket money every week! My dad worked there from 1959, when he left the army, until his 65th birthday in 1977. He used to return every Thursday to pay his money to the pools syndicate until his death in 1983. My first job on leaving school in 1975 was in the office at Shepcote Lane. Lovely memories.....thanks x

Your father Les was a great influence to me along with the others such as Horace Barlow and Jack Ford. Your Dad spoke a lot about his years in the army and we heard some great stories, He was a stickler for discipline and good old fashioned values. If I remember right you are the only child (i think) and me and my now wife visited your mum and dads when you were a tiny tot. I was fortunate to move through the ranks up to depot manger having worked in many whitbread depots. I know the "old timers" like les were good tutors and I owe them a debt. Incidentally I retired after 40 years aged 55 and am now 66 in good health and we have just moved to Cornwall a week ago to be near our daughter. lovely to hear from les,s Daughter... ps, send me a PM if you wish, i would love to hear a bit more detail

Edited by arrodbo
detail add on

Your father Les was a great influence to me along with the others such as Horace Barlow and Jack Ford. Your Dad spoke a lot about his years in the army and we heard some great stories, He was a stickler for discipline and good old fashioned values. If I remember right you are the only child (i think) and me and my now wife visited your mum and dads when you were a tiny tot. I was fortunate to move through the ranks up to depot manger having worked in many whitbread depots. I know the "old timers" like les were good tutors and I owe them a debt. Incidentally I retired after 40 years aged 55 and am now 66 in good health and we have just moved to Cornwall a week ago to be near our daughter. lovely to hear from les,s Daughter... ps, send me a PM if you wish, i would love to hear a bit more detail

I remember you visiting us. I have an older sister, and a brother who died when I was just 4. My mum passed away last year. I now live in the house I grew up in, having bought it from my mum when my husband left the Army. My 2 sons are also soldiers, and I have 2 beautiful grandsons. I seem to remember either you or your brother moved away on promotion. I remember Jack Ford, you, Mr Burkinshaw, Kathy (I think from bottling), Horace Barlow. Not forgetting of course, the 4 dray horses they used to send up for the Lord Mayor's parade every year. (Crown, Anchor, Romulus and Remus). Whitbreads was an excellent company, and the pensions dept were second to none.

I remember you visiting us. I have an older sister, and a brother who died when I was just 4. My mum passed away last year. I now live in the house I grew up in, having bought it from my mum when my husband left the Army. My 2 sons are also soldiers, and I have 2 beautiful grandsons. I seem to remember either you or your brother moved away on promotion. I remember Jack Ford, you, Mr Burkinshaw, Kathy (I think from bottling), Horace Barlow. Not forgetting of course, the 4 dray horses they used to send up for the Lord Mayor's parade every year. (Crown, Anchor, Romulus and Remus). Whitbreads was an excellent company, and the pensions dept were second to none.

Yes it was me (Roy) who moved away and spent many of my 40 years away from Sheffield and now instead of returning to Sheffield we decided to move to Cornwall.Sorry to hear about your mum she must have been a good age.

Hi All, does anyone know of Mick Waldron, who worked at the lady's bridge in the the 70's /80's ? , & where he might live Sheffield or goes drinking ?

Regards

Marvin

Hi All, does anyone know of Mick Waldron, who worked at the lady's bridge in the the 70's /80's ? , & where he might live Sheffield or goes drinking ?

Regards

Marvin

If its the same mick waldron,i will be seeing him thursday,how old would he be now?

If its the same mick waldron,i will be seeing him thursday,how old would he be now?

not sure of his age - I'm 59 and thought he would be about 4-5 years younger. Was a fantastic support to us office lads and lasses in 90s

Just to let old Whitbread employees know, Painter Hedley Kelsey passed away ten days ago after a bypass operation he was buried on Friday (26th of August) in Intake cemetery.

Hi Okismoki, is he living at Handasworth ?

Kind Regards

Marvin