Whitbreads brewery

and i used to work with butch how is the old man

from 1963 I worked for Porter Wright & Co originally on Water Lane, then the offices moived to Millsands and the warehouse to Chesterfield Road. They were a subsidiary of Wiley and Co later Stowells of Chelsea. All subsidiaries of Tennants then Whitbreads

Characters included Ernest Simpson, Billy Colk, Jack Ford, (MD of Porter Wright was Max Cockayne).

Lovely people great memories.

I remember people at Porter Wright, I worked with Jack Ford,Les Garforth and the Rudge brothers...I started at Tenants 1n 1961 and completed 40 years until I finally finished in 2001 at the grand age of 55..yes 55. I spent most of my career in production,then Personnel and finally distribution. I worked in approx 8 operations throughout the country and my biggest influence over the years was Raymond Morrison who knew a thing or two about management...happy days indeed

me and my dad worked on the drays at shepcote lane for 18 and 15 years.steve stringfellow,vic stott moved from millsands to tinsley and worked with us,do you remember them.i goto many of the charity nights at tinsley and still keep in touch with lots of the drivers

Hi Glynn,

I worked with your dad a few Times on the Drays,I left same time as your Dad,is he still doing the plastering? Regards Steve

yes i worked with steve stringfellow at millsands heard he left shepcote sometime a go

and i used to work with butch how is the old man

Chris Butcher ? hes ok but had a stroke last year so struggling a little. ta.

Did any of you use the club ( Ex Lady's Bridge)? There were some boozy evenings and some good outings arranged to Doncaster and Blackpool and also the trips to Wembley in '93.

Anyone seen Grayson , Winnie or Big Barry?

Chris Butcher ? hes ok but had a stroke last year so struggling a little. ta.

i remember chris he worked on racking i was in proccessing i think is son worked on the one of the other shifts

Did any of you use the club ( Ex Lady's Bridge)? There were some boozy evenings and some good outings arranged to Doncaster and Blackpool and also the trips to Wembley in '93.

yes used to go in ladys bridge all the time iworked on same shift as grayson and big baz not seen them for many years

My dad Pete Higgins, my brother Mark and his father in law Dennison Lindop all used to work there. Sadly my dad and Dennis have passed away.

Didn't Tennants own a building next to the graveyard at the juction of Penistone Road and Shalesmoor? I can remember seeing a Tennants and i think a Gold label sign on the wall there. It was only a small building but does anyone know what it was used for?

Edited by Baldy67

my dad worked with grayson and winnie. his name was john higgins (passed away in '94)

not seen them for a long time. brought back lots of memories seeing this thread. thanks.

my dad loved it there. did over 25 years i think.

others i remember from that time...steph, dave barker, phil brown and a few more when there names come back to me.

shane

my dad worked with grayson and winnie. his name was john higgins (passed away in '94)

shane

Hi Shane,

my dad was Pete Higgins, my mum says my dad used to call John "cousin" but doesn't know if they really were and can't ask "MI DAD" as he also passed away in '99. I have a John Higgins on my family tree but he was born early 1900's, brother to my grandad from Ecclesfield.

Baldy.

Edited by Baldy67

not seen them for a long time. brought back lots of memories seeing this thread. thanks.

my dad loved it there. did over 25 years i think.

others i remember from that time...steph, dave barker, phil brown and a few more when there names come back to me.

shane

Hello ShaneH,

I remember your dad very well. He was a smashing person. I went to his funeral , as did a lot of my pals in the offices (he was well liked) In fact I met you a few times when your dad was ill, you all went to Florida together (if my memory is still functioning) and had a fab time. We all loved Johnny - can't believe it's 15 years since he passed.

Phil Brown !!! wonder if he still drives the taxis?