Whitbreads brewery

I worked at Whitbreads as a student in summers and Christmas breaks  of 69 to 72. Summers were great as spent a week on all different gangs doing different jobs to make up team if folk were off ill, on holiday etc. Remember 6am to 6pm long shifts but great subsidised breakfast, allowance times when each gang was brought their beer allowance in jugs 3 times a day. Plus we had a few extra from sampling line. Some brilliant people and I learned more about life, not least been a young bloke on the bottling line with 7 very raucous women being ribbed and ridiculed.

At Christmas I drove the cellar service van round all the pubs prior to tanker delivery. Each pub insisted on giving both me and the service guy a pint a whisky chaser. My job was to keep reaonably sober, so by lunchtime when we had done first four cellars I was able to do the cellar work and drive as the regular serviceman had already had 6 pints and 8 whisky chasers. Yes, I kept to 2 pints in the morning and one at the last stop in the afternoon.

8 hours ago, Wayguy said:

I worked at Whitbreads as a student in summers and Christmas breaks  of 69 to 72. Summers were great as spent a week on all different gangs doing different jobs to make up team if folk were off ill, on holiday etc. Remember 6am to 6pm long shifts but great subsidised breakfast, allowance times when each gang was brought their beer allowance in jugs 3 times a day. Plus we had a few extra from sampling line. Some brilliant people and I learned more about life, not least been a young bloke on the bottling line with 7 very raucous women being ribbed and ridiculed.

At Christmas I drove the cellar service van round all the pubs prior to tanker delivery. Each pub insisted on giving both me and the service guy a pint a whisky chaser. My job was to keep reaonably sober, so by lunchtime when we had done first four cellars I was able to do the cellar work and drive as the regular serviceman had already had 6 pints and 8 whisky chasers. Yes, I kept to 2 pints in the morning and one at the last stop in the afternoon.

Sounds like a fantastic job!