Whitbreads brewery

On 13/09/2020 at 18:17, prince al said:

Sorry but Whitbreads bear was awful.

So was Ward’s elephant.

On 25/01/2011 at 18:12, Joseph M said:

Heres a line up of names for you;

Brian Reynolds Pete Hampshire Colin Atkins Fred Sweet George Bartrem Roy Townsend Terry Davenport Eddie Loy Willis Hague Roy Foster Ken Birks Ron Capewell ( Sheffield Weds reserve Goalkeeper) Terry Hussey Dennis Stringfellow (Related to Peter) Billy Carol Brian Potter Dennis Breaks Tommy Tyson Cyrel Brammer Roy Brammer Sammy Rudge Harry Rudge Pete Rudge Brian Vickers Dennis Gledhill RonTilney

Nat Olera (manager Transport) Les Dawson (Union Man) Brian Green Eric Wilson

Eric Smadley Barry Nichols Norman Swift Allan Chadburn Joe Thompson Fred Howe

Walt Machin John Machin Peter Higgins Peter Parkinson.

All the above names were given to me today by (Bill Hague also known as Canonball) incidently whos birthday it is today at the age of 78.,

He never forgets the wonderfull people and brilliant company that he worked for.

I'm clearly years behind on these post but recently found this forum. I believe the Nat Olera you refer to is Nat Allera  I myself worked at Whitbreads 1986 to 2003 pre starting full time i worked for George Lymerand  D&P transport and remember some of the names on the list as they were mates of Nat's who is my Father. For all those who remember him he's still with us but unfortunately has Vascular Dementia so his short term memory is shot but his long term is still functioning . I've spent time with him reading through these post and its really great to how he responds and tells me the stories of old, brings him back to a sense of worth, so thanks. Be great to see some new postings so I can keep the engagement there. To all my old colleagues I wish you all well and thank you for being part of Nat of our life. 

Special thanks to my adopted Dad, RAT (Arrodbo) for looking after me when I moved to Shadsworth. 

Hi all. My nan worked in the brewery in Sheffield in the 70's and 80's. 

Her name was Irene Broadhurst. I wondered if anyone here remembers her? 

She was the best nan, sadly died in 2004. 

Hi all looking for info on my grandad Hedley Kelsey 

Hi all looking for info on my grandad Hedley Kelsey Thanks 

20 hours ago, dan kelsey said:

Yes I knew Hedley, he was a painter I think, his wife, your Nan June was a good friend of my wife’s, both Hedley and June used to frequent the Wyvern on Leighton Road, June went on many a woman's week-end with my wife and her other friends, Hedley used to drink with  Joe “ Jenks “, a very amiable Irish man, plus Derek Boyce and another Irish man called Tommy Handley, my wife found this lovable man dead in his flat across from us, Tommy Hughes was another mate of Hedleys, all in all they were a great set of men.

21 hours ago, dan kelsey said:

Are you any relation to Kevin Kelsey, worked at Stanley Tools and Husband & Co.?

On 18/09/2020 at 19:18, Jim Hardie said:

So was Ward’s elephant.

Lizzie pulling a Thomas War cart c.1916, image courtesy of Sheffield Local Studies

Why?  she did wonderful work for wards (tommy).

Carl Smith,Rodger .Pryor. worked  there.

On 22/09/2012 at 08:25, IMorley said:

Hello Shane,

I worked at Whitbreads from1984 until it closed. You mentioned my dad Graham. He still lives at High Green, he worked with your dad in the early 80's, he often tells me loads of stories about him. I remember coming to your house once I think it was in Ecclesfield.

I have fond memories of the football trips, the one that stands out for me was the Brussels trophy fiinal against Marlow. I remember being told no beer was allowed by the side of the pitch, but we had bin liners full of Gold Label. I think Dave Barker was sent off, and some one else but I can't remember who.

Cheers Ian

Hi Ian, I’ve just come across your comment…you mention the Brussels trophy final against Marlow. My dad was the Manager of the football team. He always said when the team won, it was because I polished his lucky shoes before the match 🙄😂

Edited by NCraine
Edit words

I used to know a Derek Bennett who worked at the brewery he lived at longley but not seen him in a long time.