Whitbreads brewery

Does anyone know the name of the hotel in blackpool in 1969 where everyone stayed for all the people that worked at the brewery please Thankyou

If it is the one I am thinking about it was in Lytham St Annes not Blackpool & Whitbreads sent their managers there for training , I always understood it was the St Annes Hotel .

Edited by Barb M

All levels of staff were sent to the hotel for residential training of all types.

It was the St.Annes Hotel until Whitbread sold it to a supermarket chain.

For many years it was run by a chap called Colin Farmer and his assistant Barbara.

I went there several times to help run courses.

Most of the courses were run for the many depots and breweries in the North.

WHITBREADS BREWERY.

Hey up Chris, Apologies for the late response, but all good things come slowly. In answer to your question, Whitbread Peter Bradbury is not the brother of Marcus Bradbury. However, Peter's dad who is also called Peter, is the brother of Marcus.

In the second block up on Crossland Drive at nr 24 lived;

Peter [Pete] snr, his wife Joyce and children Peter jnr, Ian and Sally.

In the first block up on Crossland Drive at nr 10 lived;

Marcus Bradbury, his wife Ethel and children Brian, Keith and Terence.

This means Whitbread Peter is a nephew of Marcus.

Marcus was a lorry driver for a company called Flather in Sheffield 9. He parked at times on Crossland Drive, but mainly in the car park opposite Fine Fare at the Townend. He was a nice bloke, and supped int Red Lion, and at times with wife Ethel int Carlton club.Ethel worked int chippy at the Townend atween Fine Fare an't Launderette.

I associated over the years with Brian, Ian and Terry. Brian was older than me, the others younger than me. Circa Ian joined the army. Green Howards? I also went to the same school as Keith and Terry [Hurlfield]. I can't remember which school Ian and Brian attended.

On Crossland Drive, alorry parked each evening, which belonged to Brammah's . I think the driver was a Mr Costello [?], who lived in the second block at nr 18 or 20.

Drive safely

Zakes.

WHITBREADS BREWERY.

Hey up Chris, Apologies for the late response, but all good things come slowly. In answer to your question, Whitbread Peter Bradbury is not the brother of Marcus Bradbury. However, Peter's dad who is also called Peter, is the brother of Marcus.

In the second block up on Crossland Drive at nr 24 lived;

Peter [Pete] snr, his wife Joyce and children Peter jnr, Ian and Sally.

In the first block up on Crossland Drive at nr 10 lived;

Marcus Bradbury, his wife Ethel and children Brian, Keith and Terence.

This means Whitbread Peter is a nephew of Marcus.

Marcus was a lorry driver for a company called Flather in Sheffield 9. He parked at times on Crossland Drive, but mainly in the car park opposite Fine Fare at the Townend. He was a nice bloke, and supped int Red Lion, and at times with wife Ethel int Carlton club.Ethel worked int chippy at the Townend atween Fine Fare an't Launderette.

I associated over the years with Brian, Ian and Terry. Brian was older than me, the others younger than me. Circa Ian joined the army. Green Howards? I also went to the same school as Keith and Terry [Hurlfield]. I can't remember which school Ian and Brian attended.

On Crossland Drive, alorry parked each evening, which belonged to Brammah's . I think the driver was a Mr Costello [?], who lived in the second block at nr 18 or 20.

Drive safely

Zakes.

Eyup Zakes,thank for the reply. Aye,I knew Marcus very well and his sons.One of them went to live in Cornwall,think it was Chris. Marcus drove for Wm. Bradbury on Surbiton St Attercliffe but you are right in saying most of his work was out of Flathers,his 8-legger Scammell WWJ 761G was either parked outside that chapel opposite t'Lion or ont Lion car park. I supped int Lion for years being a driver myself,for C H Preston Woodburn Road,Naylor and Wagstaffe int market and 10 years for A E Evans tankers on Cricket Inn Road. My wagon was very often parked next to Marcus and very often I had booked off miles away on me log sheets and books.I had some happy times int Lion,a lot of drivers went in there,Robert Earls,Falkland Road Services,Turners of Totley and we all burnt some diesel. Marcus,Albert Roper (another A E Evans driver) and mesen went int Carlton Club one saturday night and supped nowt else but bottled Guinness,filled all table,top and underneath wi empty bottles and kept telling glass collector to bugger off,nearly got barred. Long time ago all this,I started going int Lion in 1960 when int RAF and courting a lass off Carterhall Road - we are still together - and last time I was in there was 1989,then moved to Crookes.Live int Isle of Man now but still got good memories of Gleadless.

The name Costello rings a bell and I think he ended up working on palletized bricks for a firm near Huddersfield,not 100% sure though. Do you still go int Old Harrow,I've read about your times in there.

Just remembered. There was a bloke who went int Lion called Jack Skelton,he was an electrician at Whitbreads in town.

Chris

Edited by Manxdeedah

Glad to hear Dave Packer & Malcolm Jenkins are Well, I knew them from the late 60s at Chiswell St. & Tottenham depot. Any news of Derek Thomas (packaging Mgr) at Millsands,I knew him from the Blackburn bottling dept.

So sad to hear Bob Lee had died he and Dave Packer were instrumental in getting John Higgins to Florida. Will always be indebted to them for all their help, top men!!!!!!!!

Both my late dad john mattimore (sadly passed away 2015) worked in cellar service and my grandad (jack mattimore, currentl 91 years old) both worked at whitbread. My grandad always had a pipe in his mouth. Lol. Anybody remember them? Be great to remind my grandad of some people. X

Hi Dellie289

I got some photos on my dad Syd Crowther &. Copy of Whitbred post from Jan 1974

Are you living in Sheffield can meet so you can see them

Andy

On 01/06/2009 at 12:45, ShaneH said:

hi baldy. i do vaguely remember another higgins at whitbreads. sorry to hear your dad passed away.

i remember my dad doing his family tree in the 80s. he traced them from Ireland to church street in ecclesfield if i am right. i am sure there were over 5 houses on there at one time with the name higgins.

shane

Sorry Shane, i didn't see your last post, i just hope you are still on here all these years later. Yes, you he was right, they were all from Ecclesfield, i never got as far back as Ireland though, but that is why i started my family tree to find that out. I will message you, we must be related somewhere along the line.

Sorry but Whitbreads bear was awful.

Just now, prince al said:

Sorry but Whitbreads beer was awful.

On 13/09/2020 at 18:17, prince al said:

Sorry but Whitbreads bear was awful.

To be fair in wasn't the fault of the staff....the brews were set by HQ in London, out of the big brewers Whitbreads offerings were particularly dismal, but I remember them reintroducing Tennants Queens Ale from Ladysbridge in the late 1970's early 80's and it was superb....it made me realise they could brew great beer, just that the range and recipes were set by head office.