Whitbreads brewery

I can remember him delivering tankers of Gold Label to Bass on Claywheels Lane.If my memory is right he was very knowledgable about racehorses and If I remember he lived on Winn Gardens!

You are right on all 3 counts.

Have called Bill tonight, he was very touched to be remembered. Thank You!

hi Joseph m. i know every body on the list your dad sent,in fact cannonball was my work mate, we deliverd many barrels together,he tought me to drive the first dennis low loaders ,and how to drop hogsheads in to pub cellars,taking great care not to miss the next ''NUTBROWN'' which was a code to let the man in the cellars know there was a mini skirt passing over the drop hole,bill loved his horses ,i would drive around the block loaded with beer,while he put a bet on,and he won,we had a good day,and after a hard days work,its to the mess room for a couple pints of amber(free)''happy birthday bill from your old mate Tony p. would love to get in touch please contact.tony p

I will call him today and pass your message on

Jim, well remembered,

Roddy Llewellyn was sent to the brewery to learn the brewing trade, and keep him out of trouble!. Memorable for him trying to pay for his breakfast in the canteen (10p) with a cheque!!.

Martyn - I was lumbered with him for a week!!Ray Morrison asked me to keep him out of sight and out of trouble - first day he asked to borrow £5 for a haircut!! - he got a Yorkshire answer!!!He had no interest in being with us and he turned up later and left earlier each day!Next we heard he was having it away with P'cess Margaret!

By the way I think you did some electrical work for me at a cottage in Malin Bridge in mid seventies.

In 1966 Jim Stirling was in charge, the two Freds garage fitters, Ron ----- the forklift fitter, Stuart ----- storeman and van driver, and Arthur ----- the third garage fitter, and the fourth garage fitter was -----?. I hope somebody out there can fill in the blanks.!

Sentinel steam lorries had worked for Tennants up to 1960, but in 1966 the garage was busy uprating brakes and equipment to comply with the new law requiring the Plating and MOT testing of Goods Vehicles.

AEC, Atkinson, Dennis and Seddon were the main type of lorry operated, maximum weight 22 tons.

Doug Midgeley was the storeman - got the sack for fiddling - Stuart was Stuart Black the garage foreman before Fred Miles - Frank Beedham was the car washer and gofor - spent most of his time with his arse on the radiator at the bottom of the garage.

My dad Pete Higgins, my brother Mark and his father in law Dennison Lindop all used to work there. Sadly my dad and Dennis have passed away.

Didn't Tennants own a building next to the graveyard at the juction of Penistone Road and Shalesmoor? I can remember seeing a Tennants and i think a Gold label sign on the wall there. It was only a small building but does anyone know what it was used for?

Yes - it was the old Don Brewery- we used it as a Pub painting,decorating and carpenters shop till about the mid eighties - the stone sign which was on the side of the building has been re-sited a few yards away outside the old Greens building - just remembered we also stored hogsheads of Gold Label there.

Do you remember Maureen Dickens she married an army officer called Brian Hart often woinder what happened to her?

I remember Maureen - a lovely lady - Brian Hart was also the manager of O'haras Playboys.A guy called John Kidder was a van driver then a chauffeur.A young BIG lad came to work there called Michael..........cant remember his surname - left to be a policeman I think - then popped up as owner of a very successful Security Co. - did some contract work for us at Tinsley on the gate.

Does anyone remember Charlie Hill who was a Boiler Man? and a chap called Hedley cant remember his surname, I think he was a painter. I worked as a spare boiler man for around a year it was the worst year of my life.

His name was Hedley Kelsey at a later date he had a mate - I think his name was Brian - used to paint the 5brl tanks in the shed in the garage yard.

im carl ....winston matthews son and ye sadly he passed away xmas day

had many good memories we everyone dwn there at whitbreads

goin in ladys bridge n winnin subuteo tournament n bein around sutch amazin people who allways made u feel welcome no matter what and allways a good laugh we folks like

steph

wayne savage

ken grayson

john higgins (got a pic of em dad we john higgins in a fram to)

steve menzies

big baz

mark staniland

cant realy remeber anymore but got loads of pics from there lads holls

been to some fantastic football games we whitbread team wen they used to go allover country playin teams in brusslels trophy

dave barker in net a top goalie

big wayne sav at back kickin owt above grass (LOL)

i used to be the little fat kid who used to allways be there playin footie we justin gray son (ken graysons son) and joe barker (dave barkers son)

i also scored past me dad we a penalty at deepdale wen it was plastic pitch n me n justin n joe took over that kop.....even tho they was only us there

lol

like to thank all the old work mates of me dads who turned up to funeral it was nice seein old faces

cheers

xxx

Hi Carl

Really sorry to hear about your dad. I remember your dad very well and he was a legend in our house when I was growing up. My dad thought an awful lot about Winnie. Sadly, I had not seen your dad for many years although my sister had a chat with him in Morrisons late last year. I was really pleased when she told me this and to hear he has now passed away is very sad indeed.

To me your dad was a larger than life character. I remember walking past Hillsborough corner with my dad and a few Whitbread pals in the early 90's and your dad was on top form. Some lady he knew stopped him and said 'Winnie, how come I always hear you before I see you?' I always think of that comment when I think about your dad and it always makes me chuckle.

I also remember the Whitbread football days out. That trip to Deepdale was legendary! Your dad was in goal at half time and we were all firing shots at him from all angles and he was flicking everyone of them over the bar. Amazing stuff! I will be seeing my mate later who also went that day. We were 18 ish I think and now I am 37!

All the best to you and your family Carl. Your dad was a good un!

Up the Owls (Winnie was a blade weren't he?)

Shane Higgins

Is this the brewery that used to stink out the Wicker?

Is this the brewery that used to stink out the Wicker?

Stink? To some of us it was a wonderful aroma. So evocative of a Sheffield that has long gone.