Support Graves Park!

We had a walk through Graves Park today and were quite surprised about the state of the children's playground near the Chesterfield Road entrance.

After further research, I have come across this website.

http://www.gravespark.fsnet.co.uk/cobnar.htm

I hope you'll agree that the children of Woodseats deserve to have their playground restored to its former glory!

I agree! I'm already a member of "Friends of Graves Park", and this situation has been rumbling on for ages now. There's been some controversy recently about the council's actions (or rather lack of them) re the matched funding. It seems such a shame that charities (such as FOGP) have to get involved at all, surely the council should be looking after this sort of facility....?

You would think so, wouldn't you?

Those toilets are a big part of th eproblem in my opinion - thye depress me everytime I walk through there. Do you happen to know if the plans happen to include the removal of them?

Do you know, I go to Graves park every single day, have done for years and I have never ever seen this playground although I have heard tell of it before. Is the entrance it is by a little used one? Is this playground used very much? Is it by parking? The playground by the rose garden cafe appears very well used...:confused:

Used to hang around there as a kid and teenager - shame it's gone downhill.

I'd like to see what is being planned for £80k - you can get a hell of a lot of playground equipment for that - I know, I used to manufacture and build them.

Originally posted by Sara

Do you know, I go to Graves park every single day, have done for years and I have never ever seen this playground although I have heard tell of it before. Is the entrance it is by a little used one? Is this playground used very much? Is it by parking? The playground by the rose garden cafe appears very well used...:confused:

I think it is the entrance opposite the KFC - I remember when my eldest son was at Woodseats Nursery walking through Woodseats and going into Graves Park that way with my youngest son at the time...

:thumbsup:

We will have to re-arrange a meet :blush:

The area being talked about is indeed the one oppisite KFC on Chesterfield road right next to Cobnar road. The most depressing sight is the small toilet block that is repeatedly damaged by mindless yobs. The damage has become so severe that the toilets have been closed with substantial metal gates and even these have been damaged in turn. The playground has lost some of it's equipment and other bits have again been damaged by youths who congregate in the area in the summer.

The planned developments are only going to work if there is a lot more security and I think wasting money on shrubs and flower-beds is just that a waste. The best solution would be I think to build a gatehouse down there and have a park keeper living there who could then keep an eye on a nice new toilet block and the proposed playground facilities.