I got caught speeding the other week at the Outibridge end of Langett Road.

I admitted it to the Police and they have given me an option of either £60 and three points or taking a speed awareness course (costing £70) and if I pass there will be no points.

They state it is a four hour course - has anyone else done this course before? What does it consist of? Also it doesn't state what happens if you fail!

Can anyone shed any light on this for me

Cheers

hi, ive not been on it but two of my friends have. they said they spent alot of time watching video clips and discussing the effects of speeding etc looking at statistics and what not. dont think you can fail. if i was you id take the course, i know its 70 quid but you wont get any points and i think if you turn it down and get caught speeding again you wont get this option offered to you again.

If you take the course and avoid the points I assume you don’t have to declare anything to your insurance company, which has got to be a winner.

The misses picked up 3 points in Grenoside and the insurance company wanted to raise her premium by 100 quid a year.

There no questions during these tests, just be there on time, participate and show that you are interested in what lecturer lady is saying and it's done.

Beware the Norfolk Park ugly conference centre has little parking. Half of the top part is full of piles of gravel.

I got caught speeding the other week at the Outibridge end of Langett Road.

I admitted it to the Police and they have given me an option of either £60 and three points or taking a speed awareness course (costing £70) and if I pass there will be no points.

They state it is a four hour course - has anyone else done this course before? What does it consist of? Also it doesn't state what happens if you fail!

Can anyone shed any light on this for me

Cheers

Same as most of these answers my boss went on one the other week and you all watch videos of kids being run over and just talk about the affects. i would take it to save points on your licence.

Sounds like you are headed for a (South Yorkshire) theory only session - some of the slightly dismissive comments on here about the course back up my contention that the Derbyshire scheme (the more expensive theory AND on-road practical) might be a little more challenging and thought-provoking than theory on its own.

Still, participate and you will get through. You would have to be really disruptive and have a stinking attitude to "fail" i.e. have your file passed back to the Police.

Think of it as a refresher and take the opportunity to learn something and save yourself some money in the short and long term (points, fine, insurance premiums).

My friend once got caught up in Lancashire and had the option to do a speed awareness course.

Unfortunately, I think due to excessive impatience, he just ended up taking the three points and paying £60. :rolleyes:

i have been on the speed awareness course it was held at norfolk park heritage centre it lasts for about 2 hours its was just a information course operated by a independent training company there is no way you can fail the course other than not turning up or been ejected from course for been a Pratt.Well worth the £70 (£62 when i did it)

just think of the cost of renewal of your insurance with 3 points on your licence

I considered it a second chance after holding a clean licence for 17 years i have taken notice and have SLOWED DOWN

do you have to be caught by a police car to do this course? i got cought twice by speed cameras i think and didnt get offered it, i would of done it mainly because i wouldnt of got the points but also would of been a good refresher course

do you have to be caught by a police car to do this course? i got cought twice by speed cameras i think and didnt get offered it, i would of done it mainly because i wouldnt of got the points but also would of been a good refresher course

You'll only get offered the course if you're within 7mph of the limit, i.e 37 in a 30 zone. Also you can only take the course once every 2 or 3 years. Did it at Norfolk Park, just turn up, show a bit of interest and avoid the points.

No, it's available for all excess speed offences but depends on the speed itself. Anything over the 10% + 2 mph guidelines for approx 2 - 3 mph may attract an offer of a speed awareness course provided you don't have any other speeding offences within a specified time (not too sure about this but some forces use 3 years).

eg if you are caught doing 36 - 38mph you may be offered a course provided you have no other speeding offences within the last 3 years (or have been on another awareness course within 3 years). 39 mph and above would probably attract a fine and points or alternatively a court appearance.

Check out http://www.ttc-uk.com/News.asp?ArticleId=49&NewsYear=2007 for more info

The speeds I've used above as an illustration are roughly accurate but not definitive.

I considered it a second chance after holding a clean licence for 17 years i have taken notice and have SLOWED DOWN

Great to read this positive post.

These courses arose out of the realisation/conclusion in the 1988 Traffic Law review that points and fines don't work so there HAD to be an educational alternative.

It's only a shame Derbyshire and South Yorkshire took so long to get the Speed courses launched.