Lant's Fish & Chip shop in Attercliffe

Happy memories I was born in Carbrook and moved to Brinsworth in 1960 my dad used to drive over to Attercliff for chips

Pete

Regarding Flathers fish and chip shop, it belonged to my mums Aunty Mary I believe it was 208 Attercliffe Common, as far as I can remember I think we used to get off the bus the stop after Carbrook School so it was somewhere around there. Aunty Mary died last year at the age of 97.

Regarding Flathers fish and chip shop, it belonged to my mums Aunty Mary I believe it was 208 Attercliffe Common, as far as I can remember I think we used to get off the bus the stop after Carbrook School so it was somewhere around there. Aunty Mary died last year at the age of 97.

Thanks for that dunney. According to my maps that was on the left hand side going into town, in between Terry Street and Belmoor Road. Just opposite the Amberley Pub, does that seem right?

Thanks for that dunney. According to my maps that was on the left hand side going into town, in between Terry Street and Belmoor Road. Just opposite the Amberley Pub, does that seem right?

Hi pal

I've just looked on an old map and it was actually just before Berkley street going towards town so you were almost right. I remember there was a dress shop next door.

Hi pal

I've just looked on an old map and it was actually just before Berkley street going towards town so you were almost right. I remember there was a dress shop next door.

Hi Dunney,

We are obviously looking at different maps, according to my 1955 ordinance survey map 208 is definitely shown as I described it. But anyway we are within a few yards of each other so what does it matter.

Thanks for that dunney. According to my maps that was on the left hand side going into town, in between Terry Street and Belmoor Road...
Yep - it sure was, see here..:)

I lived on Belmoor Road as a kid (just off it, on Thurley Place to be exact).

As you came down Belmoor Road, Flathers fish and chip shop was to the right, and the Little Wonder fish and chip shop was to the left.

Going from Rotherham into Sheffield, both shops were on the left side of the common, Flather's first and Little Wonder next.

The Continental Camping Centre (CCC now) was on the corner of Belmoor Road/Attercliffe Common. Iirc, it was the CCC store, then Flathers right next next to it, or there may have been one more shop inbetween.

Consensus was that Little Wonder produced the better fish and chips, but the portions weren't that big.

I often used Flathers because they gave larger portions than Little Wonder, and if you went in just before they closed in the afternoon, the lady behind the counter would give you a heap of chips, or even a fishcake on top.

There was also a wonderful bakers that was next door to the Little Wonder iirc (can't recall the name though) but they used to do the most fantastic bread/breadcakes etc, and you could buy a mini Hovis loaf there.

Hi Billy24

I have only just come across your post quite by accident. The answer to your question is a very big YES! They were my grandparents!!

I'm really pleased your Mum liked the fish and chips so much. I was only a youngster back then but can remember the shop used to be very busy. My Dad informs me that my Grandad always bought the best quality fish that was available as he wasn't one to scrimp.

Its funny me finding your thread as I posted recently on the 'Attercliffe' thread asking if anyone remembered the shop. I will show my Dad your post next time he's round, he'll be well pleased.

My Grandma's sister and hubby also had a fish and chip shop called 'Torrys' in Grimesthorpe, not sure if you knew that one as well?

Torry's chip shop was on the corner of Buckenham Road and Grimesthorpe Road in the Burngreave area of Pitsmoor not Grimesthorpe.

I lived on Amberley Street, adjacent to the Road that led to the Admiralty, and me being the eldest was sent every Saturday to one of the Fish and Chip shops for everyone's weekend treat. I distinctly recall one being called The Little Wonder, but i never knew the name of the patrons. Hope it helps :-)

Hi daisyboldock I lived on Rotherham st and went to little wonder and another called flathers just the other side of belmoore road was Peter boldock ur younger brother he was in my class with Kenny hizam and David thiel of amberley st I.am tash x