Lant's Fish & Chip shop in Attercliffe

I was only a child and probably wouldn't have been able to tell good fish & chips from bad fish chips but my parents absolutely swore by Lants chip shop for years. My father used to drive from Rotherham for them and go past countless other shops that he just ignored, I have 146 classic old Attercliffe black & white images from the 1950's and 1960's on my computer and I was disappointed after carefully going through them all to find Lants shop isn't on any of them. :sad:

---------- Post added 02-12-2014 at 10:24 ----------

I've got this photograph of another chip shop from around the same time I think don't know if it will stir any memories. :|[Love the lucky black cat in the foreground]

Click Here

Edited by Billy24

I was only a child and probably wouldn't have been able to tell good fish & chips from bad fish chips but my parents absolutely swore by Lants chip shop for years. My father used to drive from Rotherham for them and go past countless other shops that he just ignored, I have 146 classic old Attercliffe black & white images from the 1950's and 1960's on my computer and I was disappointed after carefully going through them all to find Lants shop isn't on any of them. :sad:

---------- Post added 02-12-2014 at 10:24 ----------

I've got this photograph of another chip shop from around the same time I think don't know if it will stir any memories. :|[Love the lucky black cat in the foreground]

Click Here

Ooooo that looks so familiar but I just can't place it. Perhaps some one with access to Kelly's directories could help pinpoint it. I used to live just round the corner from Lants chippy and in the opinion of me and my big sister (and she knows her fish n chips) they were the best on the cliffe.

Ooooo that looks so familiar but I just can't place it. Perhaps some one with access to Kelly's directories could help pinpoint it. I used to live just round the corner from Lants chippy and in the opinion of me and my big sister (and she knows her fish n chips) they were the best on the cliffe.

Just can't plaice it eh?. [sorry for awful pun] :hihi:

I wonder if any old photos still exist of Lants shop?, as generations come and go it just gets harder and harder doesn't it.

If you go on Picture Sheffield and type in ' Attercliffe fish and chips ' the second picture you'll get is a very rundown looking Lants taken in 1980

Good work Dreb I was hoping someone would come up with a shot. :)

Direct link for 'Picture Sheffield' and the photo itself below, I was going to post it in here myself as larger graphic but I know some of these places don't like that so the link will have to do.

http://bit.ly/126rV6o

THANK YOU AGAIN.

No problem Billy. Sorry can't work out how to do this link posting stuff myself .

No problem Billy. Sorry can't work out how to do this link posting stuff myself .

I also meant to say in the earlier post how good it was to see the old place again Dreb after all these years, [even in that state] how Mr and Mrs Lant must have grafted all those years because I'm sure I remember it was very busy because they were so good.

Not an Attercliffe lad myself but my OH lived on Howden Rd in the 50s so I picked up on this thread thinking it might have been her local chippy.

Unfortunately shes not the best on recollecting shops, roads or anything from the area which is really frustrating. God knows how she managed to find her way about when she was a kid :)

Good work Dreb I was hoping someone would come up with a shot. :)

Direct link for 'Picture Sheffield' and the photo itself below, I was going to post it in here myself as larger graphic but I know some of these places don't like that so the link will have to do.

http://bit.ly/126rV6o

THANK YOU AGAIN.

Nothing to do with the Op but I love that Samik (next door to Lants) are selling antifreeze at 99 pence and Alltools have just moved over the road to the old Broughton Inn. Very early 80's at a guess.

When these shops were demolished the occupying shops either closed or moved elsewhere, but the site was rebuilt on with a row of single storey shops (Now demolished) to which a lot of the originals returned . I know Samik, the fishing tackle shop ( Lakins I think) and the " Mucky book shop" did return. I seem to remenber a chip shop on the block too . Did Lants return to the new site ?

Edited by Odd-jobs

The sheffield star retro pull out has a picture of flathers chip shop and it says it was best chip shop on the cliff......

The sheffield star retro pull out has a picture of flathers chip shop and it says it was best chip shop on the cliff......

Anyone know where Flathers chip shop was on the Cliffe. This has been bugging me since that photo was posted

Honestly, I can't add to this thread, was just having a ''look in'' but my mouth is watering for those fish and chips.

I do know Attercliffe though.

Thanks for the memories.