Lant's Fish & Chip shop in Attercliffe

Don't know anything of Lamb's chippy, it is definitely Lant's fish & chip shop that we're all taking about in here.

Yep LANTS it is. Painted in a light blue colour outside if my childhood memory serves and Jacksons chippy was painted red. You've set me off again!!!! I want those chips!

There was a Lamb's chippy, but that was about a mile from Lant's, at Darnall, on Staniforth Road, and belonged to my mate's granny!

Yes Yarmouth I believe it was painted light blue outside the shop, (or is it just my imagination now you have said it) lol.

Heading into Sheffield from Rotherham it was on your right hand side, I can't remember where exactly the shop was though, I was only a young lad then.

Can anyone pinpoint the precise location where it was in relation to how the area is now?.

It would be interesting to me as I drive through Attercliffe in future.

Thanks Yarmouth if I can spot Carbrook Street when I next drive past I'll have a look for where the old chippie was.

Billy.

Can anyone pinpoint the precise location where it was in relation to how the area is now?.

It would be interesting to me as I drive through Attercliffe in future.

Hello

Lants fish shop was at 435 Attercliffe Common 3 shops from Carbrook Street

just before you got to the excel pub,

But it has altered so much you need the "A WANDER UP THE CLIFFE"

which has "lants" in and all the old buildings.

That's brilliant Bluebird, the exact address, I couldn't ask for more.

Thank you.

As a young lad in the steelworks I used to fetch the Chip order for the lads.

Mr & Mrs Lant were great people and ran an excellent chip shop with fish and chips to rival anybody's.

all the chip lads from the various firms used to hand in their cardboard boxes with their lists and Mrs Lant made sure the boxes were ready for collection when they opened.

This stopped any delays in serving the other customers.

Mrs Lant always had a sweat on working very hard with her husband and yet they both had a kind word for everyone.

Billy 24 thanks for the memories

Happy Days!

And THANK YOU potT for telling us that lovely story, that is wonderful to hear.

Although I am now well into middle age I still can't really remember much about the shop apart from my dad driving us there all the time to buy fish & chips and then us rushing home to eat them.

All I remember is they were great fish & chips and the shop was on the right hand side of the road going into Sheffield from Rotherham, (where we lived).

My mum and dad would go nowhere else to buy them, sadly I can't remember Mr & Mrs Lant at all.

Your recollections were lovely to read, if you have any more please post them.

Lants fish and chips. There was two fish and chip shops across the road from Amberley Street. I worked for the Admiralty on Janson Street and would fetch chips for the workers on a Wed. and Fri. lunch of which I recieved 2pence per order. Was Lants one of these?

I lived on Amberley Street, adjacent to the Road that led to the Admiralty, and me being the eldest was sent every Saturday to one of the Fish and Chip shops for everyone's weekend treat. I distinctly recall one being called The Little Wonder, but i never knew the name of the patrons. Hope it helps :-)

I remember Mrs. Lant used to allow all the various works fish & chip orders were taken from the back door of the shop. In those days the orders placed were large and packed into large cardboard boxes. These boxes were taken with the scribbled orders in at the back door instead of the front as this prevented the dinner time queue not being cluttered with boxes. Mrs Lant worked wonders with these orders.How she deciphered the chip orders was a mystery but rarely made a mistake. She got these large orders out in quick time &I cannot remember a time when the other customers were delayed. Both Mr & Mrs Lant worked very hard at the job just like a well oiled machine. They certainly earned their money as the shop was always busy &. the quality of their food was consistently good. Of all the chip shops on the Cliffe their's was the best. Some swore by the Little Wonder chip shop run by Albert Summerhayes which was round the corner from the cop shop but I disagree. The Lant's chip shop was the best run and the fish & chips were better and consistent in their quality.

I could just eat a newspaper full now.

Happy Days! PopT