Can't remember where i read it, but wasn't Tony Blairs expenses conviently shredded?

because most claims were within the rules then they are neither tax evasion, fraud or conspiracy to commit fraud.

for those matters which are outside the rules then there are many disciplinary options up too and including police involvement.

Or a ridiculous 6 months suspension as the two lords received, how can these people ever have the cheek to return to the House of Lords?

I wonder who decided to only go back 4 years.

The long standng MPs are probably holding their breaths incase someone decides to go back further, do we have a statute of limitations on fraud.

yes we do, the limitation act P4 section 32 says

32 Postponement of limitation period in case of fraud, concealment or mistake

(1) Subject to [F1subsection (3)][F1subsections (3) and (4A)] below, where in the case of any action for which a period of limitation is prescribed by this Act, either—

(a)the action is based upon the fraud of the defendant; or

(b)any fact relevant to the plaintiff’s right of action has been deliberately concealed from him by the defendant; or

©the action is for relief from the consequences of a mistake;

the period of limitation shall not begin to run until the plaintiff has discovered the fraud, concealment or mistake (as the case may be) or could with reasonable diligence have discovered it.

so as we've just discovered the fraud the clock starts now and it doesn't matter when the fraudulent act was perpetrated

sometimes I love the law

I might be wrong but I think it is Maggie Thatcher we have to thank for this fiasco. She didn't want MPs to get a pay rise during a general pay freeze so she gave them all a blank cheque to supplement their salaries with expenses.

Surely it is not her fault, but her successors in monitoring this kind of budget? Expense claim is a legitimate legal transaction. However, any decent employee would not go and take a big chunk out of the employer, or find ways to cheat them out of it. If that is the case, I rather sck this person. No doubt about it.

I feel sorry for the guy who controlled the finances.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-1179937/The-Speakers-scapegoat-Official-signed-MPs-expenses-didnt-accountancy-qualification.html

He should have just taken the bull by the horn and rejected those claims. Or send it back to the submitters and question the amount or refuse to sign it. Or to even put into place his own level of tolerance, so that it does not go over a certain amount. He did not protect himself, or his role.

I feel sorry for the guy who controlled the finances.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-1179937/The-Speakers-scapegoat-Official-signed-MPs-expenses-didnt-accountancy-qualification.html

He should have just taken the bull by the horn and rejected those claims. Or send it back to the submitters and question the amount or refuse to sign it. Or to even put into place his own level of tolerance, so that it does not go over a certain amount. He did not protect himself, or his role.

If you work or had worked in the civil service then the answer would be obvious why people kept their mouths shut.

Surely it is not her fault, but her successors in monitoring this kind of budget? Expense claim is a legitimate legal transaction. However, any decent employee would not go and take a big chunk out of the employer, or find ways to cheat them out of it. If that is the case, I rather sck this person. No doubt about it.

Wasn't blaming her Bago, - in fact it was Willie Whitelaw's idea and to be fair MPs were generally a different breed in those days - the abuse seems to have snowballed since Nulabour came to power.

In any other business they would be charged with fraud instead of facing another hard hitting investigation done by other MPs.

Yep no charges yet, as far as I know, they're hoping we've all forgetten about it and they can carry on scamming us all.

No Mr. Benn you couldnt make it up....but there arethose on here who would tell you this all facist propaganda.

Of course Dennis McShane can take the Daily Mail to court if they are lying......