Hi Euclid. I know all of the places you talk about!! When I was growing up all those places were our playgrounds and we were around there a lot. Tommy Wards, as we always called it - and Cow Lane!! I remember going on 'nature walks' from Beighton Juniors and standing watching Hares boxing in the fields there. When I was a bit older me and my friend used to walk down to Killamarsh most Sundays down Cow Lane - never worried or scared - ever!!! It's unbelievable how much it's all changed. I do like coming into Beighton off the M1 though and dropping down seeing all the trees now which were planted in the 80's growing up in Rother Valley Park. I don't suppose you remember the 'Gunnies' as we called them? The WW2 gun encampment on Eckington Rd, Beighton? Some people, including my Aunt - were squaters there after the war when they couldn't find anywhere to live.

Yes, My uncle Arthur worked at Brookhouse pit and my dad worked at Westthorpe as a deputy. It's funny you say you were a biker because I was a mod!!! (All nighters at the Mojo / Twisted Wheel, Manchester etc!!)

What's Wales like now? Is it still a nice place?

JuneLambert

I remember the Beighton Cinema Matinees, only because I was a member of one of those 'Skiffle' groups which played there. Do you by any chance remember Rod Stacey and the Fauvettes? We played there a couple of times - our lead guitarist used to play a solo with his guitar perched on his shoulder and behind his head. I played Rhythm guitar at the time. Although I seem to remember the groups being on Sundays, rather than Saturdays - not that I trust my memory these days, my teenage years were a long time ago.

I was Rod Stacey and you must be Geoff? with Roger on lead guitar. Please send me an e-mail to :- finance@cbams.net warmest regards. Owen/Rod

I don't remember the individual groups who played there, but I know I enjoyed it tremendously.....jiving in the isles with my mate! Live music was just an everyday part of life wasn't it. There was always at least one or two groups on wherever we went.

The old beighton cinema was sixpence for saturday matinee and if you hadnt got sixpence your mates went in and then tried to get you thro the emergency door down the side.

Also rember Mr Durhamm at youth club, think his son was called malcom?

Ps yes Sandra Lancaster did live on Allen Rd I lived on cross Allen rd

Ps yes Sandra Lancaster did live on Allen Rd I lived on cross Allen rd

I lived at 31 Allen Road.

Hi again,the lane in question would be Delves Lane and the house's known as south terrace,yes i did know the Walkers,there were two sons Mick and David who i knew quite well,and the uncle was always known as "leggy"....don't ask me why?my wife who originates from... "THE BAR"...knew the whole family.At the end of the lane now where there used to be the coke ovens and brookhouse pit is the rother valley country park.I used to go to Beighton in the 60s mainly to the old George and Dragon and the Cumberland arms :)

Hi euclid,

Do you know if the houses that you know as South Terrace, are in the same area as the ones that ran off Mansfield Rd, Swallownest called Aston Terrace. I believe the lane ran down to the pit. One of the terrace's was called Engine Row??? I am researching my family tree, and my relative lived at Aston Terrace. Hope you can help!

Cal

Hi euclid,

Do you know if the houses that you know as South Terrace, are in the same area as the ones that ran off Mansfield Rd, Swallownest called Aston Terrace. I believe the lane ran down to the pit. One of the terrace's was called Engine Row??? I am researching my family tree, and my relative lived at Aston Terrace. Hope you can help!

Cal

Hi Cal,

South Terrace is at Walesbar on Delves Lane just off Mansfield Rd across from what used to be the Waleswood Hotel,i believe the lane you mean at Swallownest is called Brookhouse Rd and is opposite Lodge Lane and the Rowland Arms and this did indeed go down to Brookhouse pit,don't know Aston terrace?...there was a Pigeon Row at Waleswood many years ago where LUK now stands.........:)

Hi Cal,

South Terrace is at Walesbar on Delves Lane just off Mansfield Rd across from what used to be the Waleswood Hotel,i believe the lane you mean at Swallownest is called Brookhouse Rd and is opposite Lodge Lane and the Rowland Arms and this did indeed go down to Brookhouse pit,don't know Aston terrace?...there was a Pigeon Row at Waleswood many years ago where LUK now stands.........:)

Hi euclid,

Thank you anyway...I do think you have the correct area...opposite Lodge Lane! Maybe someone else might know about it!

Regards...Cal.:help:

Hi euclid,

Thank you anyway...I do think you have the correct area...opposite Lodge Lane! Maybe someone else might know about it!

Regards...Cal.:help:

Cal

prob not much help but I rember the houses going down from roland arms opposite lodge lane into brookhouse pit yard.

They have been knocked down ages and an industrial estate there now

Hi,I used to live on Victoria Road and can remember the corner shop and the butchers