Saturday mornings...around 1957/8/9 - Beighton 'Pictures'. We would queue up outside then be let in to the 'Matinee' about 10am? It used to be full every week and we saw cowboys and indians, how we shouted and cheered when the reinforcements came to the rescue!! I remember watching Lassie, - really corny space adventures - but we loved it. Later they had skiffle groups on during the break and my friend, Marilyn Lancaster and I used to jive in the isles - all the girls jived at that time!! It later became a great way of meeting lads from the neighbouring villages who came down to Beighton for the evening.

Great times!

JuneLambert

I remember the Beighton Cinema Matinees, only because I was a member of one of those 'Skiffle' groups which played there. Do you by any chance remember Rod Stacey and the Fauvettes? We played there a couple of times - our lead guitarist used to play a solo with his guitar perched on his shoulder and behind his head. I played Rhythm guitar at the time. Although I seem to remember the groups being on Sundays, rather than Saturdays - not that I trust my memory these days, my teenage years were a long time ago.

When beighton closed down we all then went to killamarsh pictures.

Marilyn Lancaster still lives a few hundred yards away with her husband Ted.

Yes, I remeber going to Killamarsh cinema too.....Marilyn and I went to see 'Calamity Jane' with Spike ? Can't remember his 2nd name....lived on Bridge Street. He had a mate called David Atkinson who lived on 'White City' who I was seeing but he went to live away. The 'Lancaster' who is married to Ted is Sandra. She is older than Marilyn. Marilyn married a lad from killamarsh. The Lancasters used to live on Cairns Road, Beighton, where I grew up.....there were lots of kids on our road. It's a pity Beighton Pictures became a Bingo Hall ( Elsie Tanner opened it) then closed down.

JuneLambert

Yes, I remeber going to Killamarsh cinema too.....Marilyn and I went to see 'Calamity Jane' with Spike ? Can't remember his 2nd name....lived on Bridge Street. He had a mate called David Atkinson who lived on 'White City' who I was seeing but he went to live away. The 'Lancaster' who is married to Ted is Sandra. She is older than Marilyn. Marilyn married a lad from killamarsh. The Lancasters used to live on Cairns Road, Beighton, where I grew up.....there were lots of kids on our road. It's a pity Beighton Pictures became a Bingo Hall ( Elsie Tanner opened it) then closed down.

JuneLambert

June, yes your right it is Sandra who is married to Ted. however the Lancasters lived on Allen road or Cross Allen road when I knew them in the sixties . I still see Graham often. We also lived on Allen road .

Yes, I remeber going to Killamarsh cinema too.....Marilyn and I went to see 'Calamity Jane' with Spike ? Can't remember his 2nd name....lived on Bridge Street. He had a mate called David Atkinson who lived on 'White City' who I was seeing but he went to live away. /QUOTE]

I often went to Killamarsh cinema,friday night was the night everyone went to ,didn't matter what film was showing it was more of a meeting place,Sat matinee's was the other time everyone went,i think the Spike you might be referring to off Bridge St may be Spike Fletcher,lived next to the Navigation pub,had a sister called Tessa.........I too lived on White City in Killamarsh 1954-1966 but can't recall D Atkinson

I don't remember any of the names of the 'Skiffle' groups who came to play at Beighton Cinema - so can't remember Rod Stacey and the Fauvettes - We also used to go to Beighton Church Hall on Saturday nights an live music was on their sometimes, also Kiveton and Wales Bar. We just took it all for granted!

Response to Euclid - Yes, it was Spike Fletcher! I'm talking about 1960/61 here!! Thanks.

JuneLambert

Spike was a milkman for the co-op and last saw him in 1972,i believe he moved away down south,I also remember live music at Kivo' in the St John's Hall and lived at Walesbar for 30 years........:)

I didn't know Spike was a milkman for the Co-op.....my mum did all her shopping with them for ages as they used to deliver to Beighton - obviously before 'self service' shops opened!

Yes, We had some great nights at Kiveton and Wales Bar - we just took it for granted that there would be live music on wherever we went! You might know some of my family from Wales then....the Walkers who lived on the lane that led down into Beighton along 'Johnny Cordals' down past the coke ovens if I remember rightly. Can't remember all their names - Kathleen, Shirley, and a son and another daughter + Aunt Ada - can't remember my uncles name.

Did you ever come down to Beighton?

JuneLambert

Hi again,the lane in question would be Delves Lane and the house's known as south terrace,yes i did know the Walkers,there were two sons Mick and David who i knew quite well,and the uncle was always known as "leggy"....don't ask me why?my wife who originates from... "THE BAR"...knew the whole family.At the end of the lane now where there used to be the coke ovens and brookhouse pit is the rother valley country park.I used to go to Beighton in the 60s mainly to the old George and Dragon and the Cumberland arms :)

Hi Euclid, Thanks for this.....Yes, my uncle was 'leggy' - I couldn't remember his nickname! Mick and David, Shirley, Kathleen and another daughter I think.

What a lovely walk that used to be down the lane from Beighton to Wales. Yes, the coke ovens were near there and Brookhouse pit where some of my family worked. My dad was the medical officer for the coke ovens during 1970's. The old George and Dragon pub had lots of character didn't it - and the Cumberland, which is one of the oldest pubs around the area. Did you used to walk down to Beighton?

JuneLambert

Hi June,

my wife says the other daughters name was Margaret,when i used to walk to Beighton from Killamarsh i went down what was commonly known as Cow lane,this was a footpath that ran from Sheffield Rd just over the River Rother bridge and came out at the bottom of School Rd in Beighton,this has now all disappeared and houses built on it.When i lived on "the bar" i was a biker(rocker in the 60s)so i didn't walk down very often but i used to talk a shortcut down the lane past the houses you mentioned and down the big hill (which is the ski slope now) and over the rother bridge in the bottom where the scrap man lived in the bungalow,it was then more of a gravel track that also came out onto school road which was used by the vehicles going down to Ward's scrap yard where they used to burn the railway carriages up,unfortunately all this has gone too....progress??....:)..I knew/know lots of people who worked at Brookhouse as did my father in law who worked there most of his life...........i believe the Cumberland is now a chinese restaurant as is the Waleswood hotel at Walesbar...progress in reverse!!!!:confused: