Parkin and Bacon

Anyone remember Parkin and Bacon in the fifties? I was the litho apprentice there from 1955 to 1961. My two favourite girls were Ruth (Wright) and Maureen (Rose), "feeders" and "taker offers" and "washer uppers", (these are printing terms!). It would be nice to know if they are still around after all these years.

I think that the firm is still there and if it is I bet it has changed a lot in 50 years or so?

Brian Cooper

Parkin and Bacon is now owned by Jenkinson Marshalls which in turn is owned by the Blyde family and have just modernised the premises after being severly flooded ,many of the old machines are still upstairs.

Thanks for the info, Bullerboy. I have just found Jenkinson and Marshall on google streets and it looks well now although apart from a paint job the building is pretty much the same as I left it in 1961.

Jenkinson and Marshall were originally on Surrey Street and owned the two premises at that time. Bob Marshall (Mr Bob in those days!) used to visit P&B's each day and I remember cleaning his car for him on the odd occasion. Mr Smith was the works manager although he only visited once a day as well. Miss Willoughby was in the office (she was the office) and Alice was in despatch. In those days the building had three floors, including the loft. Litho was on the ground floor, letterpress on the first floor and ruling, bookbinding and guillotining on the second. The loft was a peper warehouse.

i wonder if there is anyone still around from those days?

Brian

Hi benbow

Jenkinson Marshalls have a web site.I'm sure if you contact Mark he will send you some pictures.

I worked at Parkin & Bacon in the 60's-70's. I was a compositor apprentice under Horace Laybourne and Peter Ward. I remember Alice, Mrs Willoughby, Mr Smith etc.

Hi Sedith

I can't remember Horace Laybourne but all the others yes. I remember Pete Ward had a new Ford Prefect, the first one with headlights in the front wings.

Alice, Mrs Willoughby and Mr Smith must have been nearing retirement in the late 60's. Was Tom Farnsworth still the "ruler" then (a strange machine).

The binder in my day was a chap with a club foot, can't remember his name. Just remembered, Noel but his surname has gone.

Brian

I know the name Tom Farnsworth but he preceeded my time there. On the Heidelberg Cylinder was Paul Cowley, the platens were manned by Stuart Mitton and couple of young ladies minding. In the comps dept were myself, Horace and Ian Rodgers.

If I recall correctly a woman called Jean ran the upstairs binding, Lottie was the woman who fetched the sandwiches and Ted did the baling of the paper.

Pete Ward had a blue Ford Anglia when I was there, ran a market stall in Chesterfield with his mother. Graham Blyth was the rep, who now owns the business.

I remember Parkin and Bacon thye were the neepsend printing part of Jenkinson Marshall on Tudor street Surrey street corner. When the town shop was closed due to demolition they moved to neepsend and is now called Jenkinson Marshall but the two Marshall Brothers must now be well gone but business is still there. I worked in town office at end of 50,s with Mr Smith.

I remember Parkin and Bacon thye were the neepsend printing part of Jenkinson Marshall on Tudor street Surrey street corner. When the town shop was closed due to demolition they moved to neepsend and is now called Jenkinson Marshall but the two Marshall Brothers must now be well gone but business is still there. I worked in town office at end of 50,s with Mr Smith.

You'll remember Mrs Willoughby and Pete Ward who worked at the Neepsend office then? The business is now run, I believe by Graham who used to be the rep?

I know the name Tom Farnsworth but he preceeded my time there. On the Heidelberg Cylinder was Paul Cowley, the platens were manned by Stuart Mitton and couple of young ladies minding. In the comps dept were myself, Horace and Ian Rodgers.

If I recall correctly a woman called Jean ran the upstairs binding, Lottie was the woman who fetched the sandwiches and Ted did the baling of the paper.

Pete Ward had a blue Ford Anglia when I was there, ran a market stall in Chesterfield with his mother. Graham Blyth was the rep, who now owns the business.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is Heidelberg Cylinder.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is Heidelberg Cylinder.

A large flatbed rotary letterpress printing machine. Not many about these days I would imagine.