Has Millhouses Park gone downhill?

I've happy memories of going to Millhouses Park when I was a kid and spending most of the day playing in the paddeling pools. And it wasn't just me - those pools and the grass nearby used to be full of families enjoying themselves.

I was in the area today and went for a walk through the park. What an eyesore! The paddeling pools are empty and rotting. What a shame. Do the council plan to sort this out?

I wouldn't have thought so. Those kind of paddling pools are a nightmare for the councils with potentially too many compensation claims these days.

Is the boating lake still in operation and is that cafe still open?

The boating lake is still operating, yes, and the cafe is open.

Actually the cafe has been taken over and refurbished, and serves really nice food :) There are also tennis courts near the boating lake.

If they aren't going to repair the paddeling pools, they should fill them in. As they are, they look ugly.

PS - did anyone else used to play "count how many trains go past" when visiting the park?

Originally posted by DaBouncer

Lickszz, i must say your avatar is FANTASTIC mate!

Thank You. I actually have 2 that are very similair to yours, one a punk playing a guitar and another man playing a banjo. I have tried uploading them but they just a little too big. :x

Originally posted by Andy

The boating lake is still operating, yes, and the cafe is open.

Actually the cafe has been taken over and refurbished, and serves really nice food :) There are also tennis courts near the boating lake.

If they aren't going to repair the paddeling pools, they should fill them in. As they are, they look ugly.

PS - did anyone else used to play "count how many trains go past" when visiting the park?

What about the putting golf course?

No, I never did the train spotting thing, but I remember I used to get excited everytime a train speeded by. I used to be too busy messing in the streams I think.

Originally posted by Andy

I've happy memories of going to Millhouses Park when I was a kid and spending most of the day playing in the paddeling pools. And it wasn't just me - those pools and the grass nearby used to be full of families enjoying themselves.

I was in the area today and went for a walk through the park. What an eyesore! The paddeling pools are empty and rotting. What a shame. Do the council plan to sort this out?

We had some wonderfull times at Millhouses Park in the old days.

The padling pools have been empty for years probably 10-15 years now, the problem was they were filled by the river (Sheaf), maybe that is why they closed them.

I used to go all the time to the park and visit the lido when I was a teenager, what about the giant chess set, anybody remember that.

Putting is still there as are bowling greens and tennis courts, having said all of that it is still a nice park and probably the best one to go to if you have small kiddies.

I go to the millhouse park cafe about once every 2 months, depends on where I am working at the time.

Food is really nice - they serve a good breakfast, which is served at dinner time too. Lots of nice cakes to choose from for afters too. You can eat both in and out.

The boating lake is open but I have yet to see any being used.

They have just built new toilets but I am not sure if they are open yet.

There are several tennis court there too.

I have yet to venture beyond the cafe/boating lake area to give you any further info.

Maybe it will be sold off to developers who say they will reinstate the paddling pool and put £50k into council coffers for park regeneration. Never say never.....

1Man&HisBMW

I used to love them lil paddle boats in the lake when I was a kid. Also ... I remember the park bit (swings and slides) ... I got concussion when I was about 10 and a kid behind my pushed me off the slide (grrrrr @ dave aston) ...

What about the open air swimming pool they had ... loads of fun throwing water filled empty crisp packets at the other kiddies !!

Trouble with open air swimming pools and paddling pools is that:

A) In this country it's too cold to use them regularly except during years where you get warm summers (like this year).

B) They get vandalised and consequently cost the Council a fortune in big fat repair bills as a result, eventually the Council turns round and decides "sod it, it's not worth repairing it cos it'll just get vandalised again and again".

Seriously it gets my goat that kids and parents bitch about there being a lack of facilities for them, yet when they get the facilities, morons ruin it for the good kids by vandalising stuff.