Students in fancy dress

we go out every year in fancy dress for my girlfriends bday,great fun!this year i was beetlejuice!some of the looks i got lol u'd think ppl had never seen a 6foot 6 beetlejuice!anyhow my point is theres no harm in havin fun n if ur not after fun y r u in town,stay home get some beers n phone radio sheff up 2 complain about anything and everything.leave the fun to us!

Here in mucky L**ds there is an event called the Otley run where students/hen or stag parties/people wanting to do a pub crawl, head from pub to pub along Otley Rd into Headingley and to the outskirts of town, usually in fancy dress. When I'm out for a drink up there I must say it does annoy me to distraction, but only due to the attitudes of the mostly southern students (ra ra, check out the mini daddy got me etc etc)

Years ago as a postgrad student myself and coursemates used leftover card and dressed as booze containers. I was a bottle of Blue Bols, wasn't the most comfy costume and needless to say there wasn't much left of it by the end.

On topic, the fancy dressers are accepted by the pubs that are along the route of the Otley run and in result, venues in town don't let them in simply because they have made their way through 12 or so pubs and are heavily wrecked. I'm sure that there are venues in Sheffield that wouldn't let in hordes of fancy dressed people... why don't you try a more upmarket and less student orientated drinking hole?

Excellent stuff Rich! Best post from you this year!

I don't know, I think the one thanking sunderland uni for making him an uncle was a good un :)

The only fancy dress I hate is 'rave', people painting their faces and waving glowsticks and dancing around to the spice girls - not a rave!

I think the OP really needs to get a life. Oh and just because they're blowing whistles and shouting and chatting about their facebook status doesn't mean they are students, i know countless adults who are on facebook.

It sounds to me like you're being a miserable old fart who wishes he'd been a student.

And as for working for a living, why the deuce do you think they're in university? So they can go out in fancy dress especially to annoy you? No, they're there to get an education and get a good job.

So why don't you move on to the next pub and let us students have our fun?

I think the OP really needs to get a life. Oh and just because they're blowing whistles and shouting and chatting about their facebook status doesn't mean they are students, i know countless adults who are on facebook.

It sounds to me like you're being a miserable old fart who wishes he'd been a student.

And as for working for a living, why the deuce do you think they're in university? So they can go out in fancy dress especially to annoy you? No, they're there to get an education and get a good job.

So why don't you move on to the next pub and let us students have our fun?

Yes it does mean their students if they are blowing whistles and acting like nobheads. I praise god every day I was never a scrounging student, I am a man not a little boy which is prob what I would have ended up as if I had been cursed to become a student.

Your comments are utter sh**, if they want to work and get a good job do some studying, dont down town dressed like a tw**.

No way im moving pubs just because you and your tosser mates are in acting like teenage clowns. Grow up for the love of god, dress normally and stop blowing those god damn whistles.

when im in the pub i love to be surrounded with young people enjoying themselves i dont want the days back with miserable old gets playing dominos and moaning when you put the jukebox on

Yes it does mean their students if they are blowing whistles and acting like nobheads. I praise god every day I was never a scrounging student, I am a man not a little boy which is prob what I would have ended up as if I had been cursed to become a student.

Your comments are utter sh**, if they want to work and get a good job do some studying, dont down town dressed like a tw**.

No way im moving pubs just because you and your tosser mates are in acting like teenage clowns. Grow up for the love of god, dress normally and stop blowing those god damn whistles.

Out of interest, why do you go to the pub? To have a drink with friends and relax after work?

Wouldn't that be what the students are doing too?

Secondly, why does blowing a whistle and acting like a nobhead make you a student. Football Referee I would understand, but I think you're just describing young people out for a drink and a laugh, and it's sounding like you're jealous you didn't get a chance to do this when you were their age.

If it's such a problem at your regular drinking establishment, and it's not a bar which wants to be student friendly, get the landlord to stop serving people in fancy dress. On the other hand, if it is a bar which wants the student business, stop winging and find somewhere else to drink if you don't like their customers.

yep i agree dosxuk well said but can i make a request for more girls in short dresses

dresses? i had one on the other xmas,dressed as mel b off bo selecta,best night i ever had (and im not a student) it made me into another person,no shyness and embarresment, i even went into the womens toilets (its true they get the soft toilet rolls) would do it again but was really sweaty in the masc,but had to get changed as i was fed up of blokes looking up me skirt!

Out of interest, why do you go to the pub? To have a drink with friends and relax after work?

Wouldn't that be what the students are doing too?

Secondly, why does blowing a whistle and acting like a nobhead make you a student. Football Referee I would understand, but I think you're just describing young people out for a drink and a laugh, and it's sounding like you're jealous you didn't get a chance to do this when you were their age.

If it's such a problem at your regular drinking establishment, and it's not a bar which wants to be student friendly, get the landlord to stop serving people in fancy dress. On the other hand, if it is a bar which wants the student business, stop winging and find somewhere else to drink if you don't like their customers.

This argument about me regretting not being a student is pathetic. I am glad I was never a student as generally they are tossers.

Young people go out for a laugh and dress normally and have a drink with their mates and you dont hear me slagging them off do you? Im talking about specific idiots that go in town in fancy dress ruining peoples nights because they cant contain their nobheadness and have to blow whistles or scream and shout.

Im not moving bars, im talking about most pubs on West street that these idiots go to. Ban them now and send them to the student union, not town where humans go.

just a quicky.if we banned all students all 8,000 of em,the pubs on west street would end up closed then you would be drinking on devonshire green with the rest of the whino's (not recommended) and most students only go out in the week as its so cheap for them,(lucky buggers)

Im not moving bars, im talking about most pubs on West street that these idiots go to. Ban them now and send them to the student union, not town where humans go.

If the bars you frequent want those noisy whistle-blowing fancy-dress-wearing students to drink in their premises, then they're not going to be banned. If you disagree, you can either stop complaining, or find somewhere else to drink that doesn't want their custom. As someone else said, most of the bars which are popular with students down West Street wouldn't exist if the students weren't here. If you have a problem with who they want to serve, that's your problem, and yours to find a solution to.

Besides, at 10pm on a Friday or Saturday night, you'll stuggle to find many examples of humans on West Street, and the majority of the "non-humans" aren't students.