Sile it down - what does it mean?

Never heard of either of them, and they say it's a small world!

What about '' scrorming '' then, and no, it's not rude.:)

What about '' scrorming '' then, and no, it's not rude.:)

Oh ar, babbies scrawm abaht evryweer!

Oh ar, babbies scrawm abaht evryweer!

No, not that scrorming HH.:)

Scrorming is where you had to hold a two bob piece with one outstretched arm (middle finger) against the corner of the wall, and stretch out your other arm as far along the wall as it could go, without dropping the coin.

In this way it effectively measured your '' wingspan '' and was marked with a pencil mark on the wall, very much like one does with kids, measuring their height.

(difficult to describe in words only, but tell me if I have not explained it correctly).

That's a new one on me as well! Mind you, you measure your height, and then measure your 'wingspan' (middle fingertip to middle fingertip outstretched), and see how close they are ;)

Edited by happyhippy

My grandad used to say " I do not know if I am on this earth or fullers" to describe a very confused state of mind. I never did know its origin!

My grandad used to say " I do not know if I am on this earth or fullers" to describe a very confused state of mind. I never did know its origin!

My grandma still says that.

fullers earth is a clay, which can be used as a poultice, as an ingredient in certain skin creams, and as a base for cat litter (because it is absorbent).

Fao Plain Talker-try to get hold of a book called 'Sheffieldish A begginners Phrase Book by Derek Whomersley' -if it's still in print?

Give a lot of sayings like that & translates in queens english for non-sheffield speakers it's good & quite funny!

Examples include:-

SEEDY TUNEET- see you tonight

BIGEEAD-conceited or show off

OARLAID-over slept

WITTLIN-worrying

ROOERIN-crying

KEEP THI NOOERS AHT- mind your own business

MARDY BUM-easily upset

YAVTER - compulsory

Hope you get the picture anyway.

Edited by Bedders

fullers earth is a clay, which can be used as a poultice, as an ingredient in certain skin creams, and as a base for cat litter (because it is absorbent).

I know that fullers earth is used in cat litter but how does not on this earth or fullers have anything to do with how absorbant it is when the saying is about confusion.

a popular saying in my familly is 'nanooks'(sp) as in 'you can nanooks' instead of saying no to something you feel is cheeky. Also obstroclous(sp) I know a few people from down south who have never heard this. I think it means being unhelpfull or pedantic on purpose, I may be wrong though!

Fao Plain Talker-try to get hold of a book called 'Sheffieldish A begginners Phrase Book by Derek Whomersley' -if it's still in print?

Give a lot of sayings like that & translates in queens english for non-sheffield speakers it's good & quite funny!

Examples include:-

SEEDY TUNEET- see you tonight

BIGEEAD-conceited or show off

OARLAID-over slept

WITTLIN-worrying

ROOERIN-crying

KEEP THI NOOERS AHT- mind your own business

MARDY BUM-easily upset

YAVTER - compulsory

Hope you get the picture anyway.

I do, indeed have a copy, from the original publication around 1979. an excellent book! :D