St.Vincent's Solly Street.

Thanks Boozy Bird for posting this. I think this is awful. They are already ruining Provincial House (formerly the Priests' Presbytery on Solly Street)- it is being surrounded by more student accommodation. What about Sheffield's heritage and historic buildings? Does anyone care?

take a look at the post in News & discussions headed The ruination of Sheffield

Another building that has been ruined is the former Red House pub on Solly Street.

Another building that has been ruined is the former Red House pub on Solly Street.

Yes, agreed. All the flats around there now, you'd think a pub could keep going.

I went from 1952 to 1956 it was ok it was a thriving parish in its day been to lunch with an old school friend whose mu and mine were in the parish ,they had the club they all mixed together met their wives,husbands there. My mum died 10 years ago she would be a hundred this year my friends mum is 98. They are on the sae photos when they were young. The Sweeneys,Cummins, Gaughans,Keaveneys,Gays were just a few of the families around at that time

---------- Post added 13-01-2017 at 18:38 ----------

Not all progress is good the church at crookes does nothing for me too many hypocrites

On 21/12/2010 at 22:15, Eccleshall said:

Oh, my lord! St. Vincent's. How could I forget. I well remember Mr. Sweeney,(and the looong wait outside his office when waiting for punishment), Mr. Smith who tried in vain to teach me math (I learned it later, but I had to teach myself). I wonder if anybody remembers the model he made of the church. There was even a picture of it in the newspaper. Mr. Walsh who was the science teacher, and was always in a really bad mood when he had his hair cut. I never figured if getting his hair cut put him in a bad mood. or if that 's when he got it cut. He did have a neat microscope with a screen on the end you could look at to see things swimming around in pond water, etc. Mr. Hosty who actually taught me to love the English language. I still remember him going o8n about the Canterbury tales. Mr. Veal (Meatballs), who taught me to play the recorder, and something about history. I left there in 1960 and joined the army. Ah yes (not so), fond memories.

You brought a few memories back for me . Pity it has taken me 10 years to return to these pages to find out

ALan Smith St Vincents 1054-58