St.Vincent's Solly Street.

Hello I have just read your write up about St. Vincents, I was at there about the same time you was, I remember sister Cecilia, she took over from sister Lucy, I wonder if we know each other!!!!. I would like to know

Gloria

Hi Gloria

Iw as of course in the boys school. My sisters Mary and Sandra Smith with there at the time of Sister Lucy. Sandra is 2 years older and Mary 5 years older than me.

I cannot recall any girls at all but am delighted to hear from you. I am now retired on the Isle of Wight.

Regards

I too am retired and I live just over the water from you in Portsmouth, what a small world. Too be honest I dont recall any one called Mary or Sandra Smith, maybe they were there be for me

best wishes

glo

I was there 1974-80. Loved the place. Happy memories. It's paradoxical to see the yuppie regeneration of the so-called St Vincent's Quarter taking place when the church and school it's named after are left to rot and ruin. Shame on you Hallam Diocese.

Not Hallam Diocese- progress. It was impractical for a church that size and a school to continue in an area where nobody lived. There is a brand spanking new one in Crookes now.

I loved that school too, so many happy times. I went back to see the church a couple of years ago and I have to admit it made me cry, to see such a lovely church in ruins really, again so many memories.

Not Hallam Diocese- progress. It was impractical for a church that size and a school to continue in an area where nobody lived. There is a brand spanking new one in Crookes now.

The church in Crookes is not half as nice, and the club still does well, despite being in an area where no one lives.

Jayne

The club does well as it has become more of a diocese CMS club rather than St Vincent's solely.

I was just being over sentimental I think on that day, it was the shock of seeing it like it was, I just wasnt expecting it. I havent lived in Sheffield for years so foolishly I just thought all would be the same. Of course you cannot have a church like that with out any people there, lucky I have loads of memories.

SI attended St Vincents in 1961 Its Last Year as 11plus school then went on to St Pauls

As most of you have said they are good memories. I have not noticed in all the messages a mention of the late Brouther Smith what a man.

I dont think St Vincents would have been the same with out him

I wasn't suggesting the buildings be used as a church or school. Those buildings are on premium land and could easily net the Diocese a pretty penny just by being let out. Given it's consecrated land, any use other than religious/ community purposes would be objectionable though. Am suprised the University haven't eyed it all up yet. Maybe they have. I don't know. Certainly NOT progress by the Diocese in the last 20 years, that's for sure!

Edited by Thewickerman
sp

The reason that they have done nothing with it the carigng church are drawing parking fees that add up to alot of money for their purse. As usual