The capture, trial, conviction and execution of Saddam Hussein of Iraq

Should Saddam Hang?  

237 members have voted

1. 1. Should Saddam Hang?

• Yes
    • No

Iraq isn't like your average western democracy. It's full of people who want change, or (like the Kurds) independence. There are those who denounce western democracy, and there are plenty of ordinary people who despise the Americans and British for what they've done in their country. At least Saddam kept Iraq together, albeit under an iron grip. Does anyone think there's a danger that Iraq will slip into anarchy after the Americans have gone, to the detriment of its people?

Originally posted by Belle

According to the Daily Telegraph yesterday (which I thought I would quote for a change, instead of the Guardian) Saddam H's regime is responsible for over 2million murders, which the Telegraph point out is more murders than Pol Pot and more murders than in Rwanda.

It seems a pity to have installed him in the first place, perhaps even a mistake by our political forefathers.

Will we learn?

Originally posted by Funky Dave

At least Saddam kept Iraq together, albeit under an iron grip. Does anyone think there's a danger that Iraq will slip into anarchy after the Americans have gone, to the detriment of its people?

I think there's some evidence that it already is. I saw a TV programme some time ago, but after the Americans/British had declared the war was over, about the "post war" situation. Volunteers were signing up for unpaid police jobs to help set up some kind of order. However, they were vastly outnumbered by criminals and looters and were unable to cope. They started taking monentary bribes to protect those that had paid them.

American and British soldiers are still be killed over there in ambush attacks. I think the war isn't really over... Saddam still had a lot of supporters, I believe they'll still keep fighting.

The situation is so complex. I hope some order can be established sooner rather than later. I don't think Saddam's methods were the answer but something needs to be done soon. I don't think the Iraqis will thank the Americans/British if we try to enforce a "Westernized" system upon them. I think that's insulting to their cultures/lifestyle.

I hope you get what I mean, I'm not very clear at expressing myself with these things!

Originally posted by Belle

According to the Daily Telegraph yesterday (which I thought I would quote for a change, instead of the Guardian) Saddam H's regime is responsible for over 2million murders, which the Telegraph point out is more murders than Pol Pot and more murders than in Rwanda.

I personally dont believe in the death penalty, not even for mass murderers and tyrants. But I will say that the effort I would be prepared to expend to prevent the death penalty being carried out, would be less in some cases than in others.

That could well be right. I've seen it reported that Pol Pot was responsible for as high as 1.5 million murders and fully supported by the west. Even when exiled, the Khymer Rouge was funded by the US, and Pot was still recognised as Cambodia's leader by the US and UK.

I don't know why Pinochet escapes been mentioned in the same breath.

Saddam a brutal dictator who put down his people, killed his opposition, tortured and murdered his own people during a 25 year reign.

Pinochet a brutal dictator who put down his people, killed his opposition, tortured and murdered his own people.

30,000 in his first couple of weeks alone.

one demonised

one a freind

My own view is that they should have been treated exactly the same.

Originally posted by Lickszz

...I don't know why Pinochet escapes been mentioned in the same breath.

Saddam a brutal dictator who put down his people, killed his opposition, tortured and murdered his own people during a 25 year reign.

Pinochet a brutal dictator who put down his people, killed his opposition, tortured and murdered his own people.

30,000 in his first couple of weeks alone.

one demonised

one a freind

My own view is that they should have been treated exactly the same.

30,000 guatemalan peasants killed by CIA organised death squads... the litany is never ending.

You have my 100% agreement Lickszz.

I believe this deferential treatment of some dictators and persecution of others is not a morally based policy, as our politicians would like us to believe. It is a policy based on ruthless realpolitik that our government would rather not speak of.

And you can see why.

Speaking as the person who quoted from the Telegraph (from memory) I dont know if they mentioned Pinochet or not

I certainly dont see him as my pal, let me tell you

And okay, maybe we shouldnt have been looking the other way when Saddam came along, maybe we shouldnt have let him get into position, or supported him, years ago.

But I am SICK TO DEATH of this argument.

Does it therefore follow that we cannot then do right?

That we have to say "Oh yeah, what a terrible mistake we made, but we cant now try to put things right. We have to just keep on doing the wrong thing for fear of being hypocritical."

Should Ian Huntley just have been allowed to carry on as caretaker at Soham School on the grounds that the governing body had employed him so they had to stick with him? Of course not that would be ludicrous.

I dont know the facts about what our Government did over the last 20 years. Most of them are not even politicians any more, dead or retired.

I dont even care

Even if they had invited home to meet their mothers I would STILL want them to stop him from murdering 2 million people.

I am not especially supportive of the Government on this issue, but I am VERY supportive of moves to get rid of the Ba'ath Party and Saddam and his entourage.

VERY supportive

Just as I would be very supportive of getting rid of Pinochet

Or Mugabe

Or any other bloody tyrant

ALL tyrants

Let me hear no more of this "Ah yes but Saddam isnt as bad as this bloke" or "you cant tackle one until you have tackled all"

Tackling any is A GOOD THING

We in the West in our easy little lives, wondering merely about the safety of walking down Sharrow Lane in the dark, have no idea about the troubles of people who live under the cosh in some of these countries. Imagine half of the people you just brought Christmas presents for, being murdered and raped in the next few years.

Now tell me that we shouldnt be doing anything we can to save them.

Irrespective of charges of hypocrisy.

I would be a hypocrite all day long if it saved further millions

At some point in the future the Iraqi tyrant Saddam Hussain will face a war crimes trial. Assuming he is guilty (which has to be a reasonable auumption) should he receive the death penalty.

My own view is that he should.

Personally I think he should be hung drawn and quartered and his head put on the London Bridge (or was it Tower bridge?)

Fully televised, perhaps Sky could charge like they for boxing matches with the money raised going to help the people of Iraq and a running commentary by those sports fellas who do the american football games!

I could go on..

Sick....me??

Moon Maiden

Death is an easy way out.

Best way is to lock people, so they live but yet their life is non-existent

Originally posted by Skatiechik

Death is an easy way out.

Best way is to lock people, so they live but yet their life is non-existent

yeah but that costs me money. Saying that killing him could turn him into a matyr. Don't we keep lions anymore? what about a accident with hemlock?

Moon Maiden

He should be put in a room, clinically white on his own with absolutly no human contact, and have 'love is blue' played on loop until he dies of old age.

I dont believe in killing someone for killing themselves. That makes the law just as bad as the criminal.

Neither Iraqi nor international law support the death penalty.

Under what legal system do you suggest he be tried to bring about such a penalty?

No one is above or below the law, he should suffer the penalty according to Iraqui law for the crimes he has committed, which would be life imprisonment.