Photoshop Meet

I would like to suggest organising a 'photoshop' meet, aimed at developing a few of our own photos.

Mainly along the lines of taking RAW files and bringing them up to final photo-print stage.

This will probably be trickier than organising a normal meet as we would require either somebodies house with a fairly nice computer screen and a bit of space. Or i have thought about the possibility of contacting local colleges/FE's or even studios, to see if it is possible to rent out a classroom and facilities for a couple of hours on an evening.

It would be good to gauge interest on this and see if anyone has any bright ideas on possible locations?

Rob

I would like to suggest organising a 'photoshop' meet, aimed at developing a few of our own photos.

Mainly along the lines of taking RAW files and bringing them up to final photo-print stage.

This will probably be trickier than organising a normal meet as we would require either somebodies house with a fairly nice computer screen and a bit of space. Or i have thought about the possibility of contacting local colleges/FE's or even studios, to see if it is possible to rent out a classroom and facilities for a couple of hours on an evening.

It would be good to gauge interest on this and see if anyone has any bright ideas on possible locations?

Rob

Deffo up for this. You can never learn too much. :)

Sounds interesting, however, I suspect that 2 hours will be insufficient time for everyone to be involved unless the computer is lightning fast, especially if your throwing uncompressed 50mb files around such as those generated by the EOS 1ds mk2. If at someone's house then the screen shouldn't be a problem as most lcd tvs will hook up to a pc with the necessary cable. As regards classroom space, you'll probably find the cost too prohibitive unless you were to start a new photographic society.

What about hiring something like the Hugger studio? Its open 24 hours a day and they're rates are 'semi' reasonable. Then you could shoot something really simple using the lights and hook up a laptop to their monitors? The owner is a really reasonable guy and if you told him what you were doing he'd probably come to some sort of agreement (given the amount of advertising he'd receieve from a gaggle of photographers...They have a kitchen too, for making tea and coffee....

Bingo. Sounds like an awesome plan. :)

If we all chipped in, I'm sure that the cost would be very reasonable.

I've used Hugger studios a couple of times, they are excellent

always worth investigating! Ive contacted sheffield college to see if they offer the oportunity to rent out space...

on the topic of whether we would have enough time to do anything. i was thinking something along the lines of having a couple of groups, with a machine each. and during the session, develope 4 or 5 pictures. bouncing ideas off each other. Possibly comparing photo's from each group near the end.

A bit of a communal workshop kind of thing....

Sheffield Hallam rent out class rooms for all sorts of reasons with various computer/ av equiptment they can also supply tea, coffee, ect or vending machine available. they are expensive but...

Good central location

http://www.shu.ac.uk/conference21/meeting_room_hire.html

Sounds good. £110 for a full-day, let's say 10 people to keep it 'close' and it's £11 each.

:)

always worth investigating! Ive contacted sheffield college to see if they offer the oportunity to rent out space...

on the topic of whether we would have enough time to do anything. i was thinking something along the lines of having a couple of groups, with a machine each. and during the session, develope 4 or 5 pictures. bouncing ideas off each other. Possibly comparing photo's from each group near the end.

A bit of a communal workshop kind of thing....

Sounds exciting. :)

Now, I don't want to sound like I'm taking over... but how about:

Meet for breakfast - greetings, etc...

Quick 2 hour shoot - because I'm a firm believer in shooting for processing (i.e. pics look rubbsih out-of-camera but are exposed for being developed).

4 or 8 hours in Sheff Colllege or Uni developing and chatting

:)

hi there, just found this post and me and hubby would be interested in this sort of meet too.

Edited by krisskross

Ive just spoken to sheffield college who might be able to offer us something. I'm waiting for a response on prices etc.

but im more than happy if somebody would liek to 'take-over' ;-)

a full day session would be interesting actually. would be a great way to learn alot.

I should imagine sheffield college wouldn't be able to offer a weekend full day.

Im in for the Shef Hallam arrangement. How about mid June time? Give us a month or so to work it all out. Im happy to pay the upfront fee if we get enough committments...

Shall we start with, 13th 14th, 20th or 21st of June??? Just to gauge everyones availability and interest?