Digital Photo Processing Tuition

I know that this has been covered on a few various threds but they have not yielded exactly what i am looking for. (i have found people advertsing what i am after on gumtree, but only in other cities)

Im looking to see if anyone out there is providing digital photo processing (photoshop curves/balance/conversions/file types/dodge&burn/cropping etc) tuition? possibly just looking for some extra evening work.

I have a fairly good handle with the above software but am struggling to progress to a more advanced level, producing particaulr effects etc.

While i know there are college courses, i would most suit a couple of sessions, possibly followed by a little feedback tuition on my own work.

Is there anyone out there who is willing to take me up on this offer? i am however only able to offer around £20-30/hour. i understand this is probably below a professionals rate, so if there is anyone who is just pretty advanced on the subject and is looking to earn a little money, this is the kind of market i am looking for.

Thanks for reading,

Rob

PM me with what you want to learn Rob, I know a man who's brilliant at that kind of stuff, he might help you out

Never really thought about doing tuition, and not sure how advanced or amateur I am... but a meet somewhere to go through Ps and Lr would be a great meet, don't you think?

this is also something id be interested in. I view alot of tutorials, and read articles in magazines, as well as having an understanding of what tools do, but i feel that i need some kind of active feedback with a person/persons who can just add a bit of guidance and advice.

A workshop style environment would be perfect.

Hya Rob, having a person with you would be a good idea as Photoshop is so extensive and mind boggling when you first start using the software.

I have only been using lightroom and photoshop for around a year and do not claim to know everything or be the best here, but i do enjoy what i do. I found the best way to learn was to experiment with the different tools that are available in both pieces of software, mixed with a little imagination of my own for final results.

There is nothing better than looking at proven work and hopefully other members will post their own work as well so you can view their style and ability. That way, we can all give you a little inspiration for you to put in the time and effort using Adobe software.

Pure lightroom processing.

3485066687_bfe41537e5_o.jpg

Lightroom processing, PS for frame and title work.

3439042345_af875b2ec8_o.jpg

Lightroom processing, PS for cloud effect, frame and title work.

3243971392_a5f1806b3a_o.jpg

Pure PS focus stack layering mainly for macro work to increase depth of field.

3431085199_e41fa7fb56_b.jpg

Lightroom processing, PS image split, frame and title work.

3299514717_af9dcd72e9_o.jpg

Pure PS for crop, b&w conversion and toning.

3234263138_0d82ae0327_o.jpg

Pure PS for b&w conversion and selective colour change.

2814819297_ab39d8d60c_o.jpg

My work is not to everyone's taste but i hope i have given you a little inspiration. One thing with Photoshop though, we are all learning new techniques with Photoshop to create new ideas all the time so before you start, prepare to loose the rest of your life in Photoshop.

Cheers, H.

Edited by HarryMac

Well, HarryMac, I have to say that the pictures you have posted there show great examples of what can be achieved in PS and Lightroom. There are lots of people who overdo the photoshopping - maybe they are photoshopaholics? Is there such a word? - Anyway - your pictures may not be to everyones taste - that's the case for all photography really, but I personally like your style and I admire what you have done with these images. Very nice work.

You are quite right about losing the rest of your life to photoshop - it is to me what facebook is to my step-daughter!!

I'm a photoshopaholic I'm afraid. I like removing things that I dont like, or adding new things in but hopefully you'll never notice where I did it...but if you want more advanced photoshop stuff, I like to produce some more 'hyper real' images and some that are just plain over the top (there's a thread on here arguing whether or not this sort of thing is really photography but I've chosen to ignore it!! - too heated)...

3492026850_7880e6e0d0_b.jpg

3355874747_5d8f556c4a_b.jpg

3355869161_7838e39d1f_b.jpg

This is one of the first online tutorials I did

2781913743_dc8a3b73fb.jpg

self portrait!

2731903031_685c81154c.jpg

This one is obviously heavily processed, but not so obviously is the fact that it was a sunny but the sky was full of rain clouds. The car in the background was actually blue and there was a man in the shot on the right hand side who magically disappeared...but his shadow didnt!

2830563261_0f952299f1.jpg

I think a PS and LR meet would be brilliant! I'd love to see other peoples work flows and sharpening methods etc etc...

There could even be a 'processing page'..with tips and advice?...I'm constantly searching for new things...

I'd be happy to help anyone that needed a few pointers

First of all, (as most photographers feel compelled to do) id like to throw in my 2cents on the 'is it photography' topic.

I believe it definately is photogroahy, but what you are producing might be more acurately descirbed as 'graphics' work. similar to what might be produced for advertisments etc.... which in turn uses photography to produce the product.

I also beleive that if it were possible to remove unwanted artifacts from development within a real darkroom, it would have been done, and wouldnt be questioned as a 'genuine part' of the photo development process. (like dodging and burning for example)

I beleive that all photographers should strive to 'get it right in-camera', but this will be an eternal debate that will follow us until the end of time.

Anywho, on to what i was actually going to write.

Following on from the previous decision, I would like to suggest organising a 'photoshop' meet, aimed at developing a few of our own photos.

Mainly along the lines of taking RAW files and bringing them up to final photo-print stage.

This will probably be trickier than organising a normal meet as we would require either somebodies house with fairly nice computer screen and a bit of space. Or i have thought about the possibility of contacting local colleges/FE to see if it is possible to rent out a classroom and facilities for a couple of hours on an evening.

Im also going to start a new thread on this, so please reply on that one.

Rob

I don't want to give the impression that I am against heavy photoshopping - I think it can be very effective as starmag has proved above. I just think that to begin with it's a good idea to limit yourself to getting a picture looking right - learning curves and how to get the best out of ACR etc before wanting to learn how to cut and paste anything and everything - it's about learning to walk before you even contemplate running.

I have seen some extremely heavy photoshopping and it has looked really good, but I have seen some quite moderate photoshopping which has looked terrible.

Photography is an art form, and so is photoshop. The people who are really good at both have no real limits as to what they can achieve - again, see starmag's post above.

Harrymac,

Your images are very striking and inspiring to someone like me. I love your style with these photos. The blue rose and the fallen tree images are simply gorgeous.

I love them.

Are you a pro-pho or is it just a hobby?

ps, you are very talented. Well done