Train Station closed to non ticket holders

One issue that has been reported elsewhere (on South West Trains, I believe) is that the ticket machines do not always sell the cheapest ticket for the journey passengers are making. This is prevalent around the end of the morning peak, where trains depart just after the changeover time, but tickets cannot be bought until said changeover time.

At present the people in ticket offices are pretty good at explaining ticket types and validity. The standard of service from machines is not as good.

Agree with this there are so many types of tickets that its easy to buy the wrong one and end up paying to much , the staff at ticket office always help me find the best deal and which is quickest route.

The barrier staff allegedly stopped hundreds :o of people accessing the platforms with out tickets in one day; nobody can run a business that is haemorrhaging money at that rate

I can believe this , on way to Huddersfield yesterday the guard was checking tickets and at Meadowhall he jumped off and stood at the exit to the steps checking tickets and sold another 9 and this was out of the couple of dozen or so that got off. This was the first time I have seen this done but it just shows how many people do travel without tickets.

Does anyone know, with this new system, if they've relocated a ticket collection machine to the tramstop entrance?

There certainly is a ticket machine just inside the access point from the tram stop; I bought a ticket to Birmingham a couple of weeks ago.

Saying that, I'm not sure if these days (not sure when the restrictions came in, when I bought my ticket there was no-one on duty there) you're allowed to access the machine, or whether you're supposed to already have a ticket.

It's all a bit of a mess, if you ask me - and I strongly object to having to have a ticket to a) access the main area in order to buy - or enquire about - a ticket or b) travel across the station using the publically-funded bridge in order to reach Sheffield Hallam or the Transport Interchange.

There certainly is a ticket machine just inside the access point from the tram stop; I bought a ticket to Birmingham a couple of weeks ago.

Saying that, I'm not sure if these days (not sure when the restrictions came in, when I bought my ticket there was no-one on duty there) you're allowed to access the machine, or whether you're supposed to already have a ticket.

It's all a bit of a mess, if you ask me - and I strongly object to having to have a ticket to a) access the main area in order to buy - or enquire about - a ticket or b) travel across the station using the publically-funded bridge in order to reach Sheffield Hallam or the Transport Interchange.

hear, hear!!

I`ve noticed that lots of planning applications have appeared on SCC website but only found them on searching for them by postcode.

I`m assuming that most of them will be for the barriers but i can`t see how to view the details, does anyone know if it is possible to view the details or are they private?

I don't think there is any planning application yet - that's part of the problem: EMT have refused to say what their plan for the barriers would be.

Wish me luck, I'm getting a train tomorrow. Will have my ticket, passport, retina scans and quart of blood available for DNA database so I can enter the station :P

Wish me luck, I'm getting a train tomorrow. Will have my ticket, passport, retina scans and quart of blood available for DNA database so I can enter the station :P

If EMT have their way it'll require a darn sight more than that! ;)

If EMT have their way it'll require a darn sight more than that! ;)

gosh you're sooo funny...ever thought of doing the comedy clubs?? :0

EMT are NOT the only train company installing barriers at stations nor are they the only company operating barriers.

Even if SCC turn down the application for barriers they can still.legally (rail by laws) operate human barriers and stop anyone accessing the station without a ticket.

Can i ask why you have never harrassed the council for failing to maintain,or make wheelchair accessible either the Cross Turner st bridge or the bridge opposite Ponds Forge?? Both bridges were in place long before this one yet no one seems to be screaming about the councils failings in this department.

What I don't understand is that you can walk into the station from the front, no request for a ticket when I was there 3 weeks ago, get on the platform and board a train. I was halfway to Chesterfield before anyone asked for my ticket.

Whats so special about accessing the station via this bridge?

What I don't understand is that you can walk into the station from the front, no request for a ticket when I was there 3 weeks ago, get on the platform and board a train. I was halfway to Chesterfield before anyone asked for my ticket.

Whats so special about accessing the station via this bridge?

You can't access any platform, from any direction, when the barriers are in operation.

gosh you're sooo funny...ever thought of doing the comedy clubs?? :0

EMT are NOT the only train company installing barriers at stations nor are they the only company operating barriers.

Even if SCC turn down the application for barriers they can still.legally (rail by laws) operate human barriers and stop anyone accessing the station without a ticket.

Can i ask why you have never harrassed the council for failing to maintain,or make wheelchair accessible either the Cross Turner st bridge or the bridge opposite Ponds Forge?? Both bridges were in place long before this one yet no one seems to be screaming about the councils failings in this department.

To take your points:-

the TOC who are installing barriers in Sheffield, the station which directly affects me,and why I am opposed to them going in, are EMT, which is why I'm part of the group trying to work with them on this matter.

You do not know me personally, so how on Earth do you know I have not harassed the council, in any way about the issue of access to the station? As a matter of fact, I have been campaigning, consulting with, and working with the Sheffield Station Mangement, and Sheffield City council about access for almost fifteen years, and in recent years, as the then-chair of a pan-disability group with the council.

We were finally successful in getting joint funding for the current footbridge, which was more than adequate for anyone's needs, until EMT proposed blocking access. That's why I am so annoyed, and so vehemently against the proposals to gate that bridge.

You do not know how much I have strived to get things improved, all round, to make the city more accessible and welcoming to all-comers, not just disabled people.