Train Station closed to non ticket holders

Indeed catering is being withdrawn from Liverpool-Norwich from the summer timetable next week as it is losing so much money - only 3% of passengers ever buy anything from the trolley on those trains! At the same time there is to be improvements on the Sheffield-London trains, with both at seat trolleys and buffet bar kiosks available on most weekday trains, with a new menu introduced.

Train sizes on Liverpool-Norwich is scheduled as a 2 car on most, with certain peak trains strengthened to 4, but some of the old second hand trains inherited are unreliable, however a lot of money is being spend on refurbishment and overhaul so this will improve. East Midlands Trains has also been lobbying the Dft for permission to lease extra trains for this route too, if this pays off more trains will be 4 cars next year.

Im sorry, but I can't see how this is a good thing. A better service on the Sheffield-London line doesn't help those passengers crossing the country from Liverpool to Norwich, even if it is only 3% that use the service. Perhaps if East Midlands Trains had announced to it's passengers that they were at risk of losing the service some of them might be more inclined to start using it a bit more. East Midlands Trains are alienating their passengers, there are alot of unhappy passengers at the moment and they seem to be making things worse.

Ah. So they've just been making a point then? Interesting way to conduct relations with their customers/local authority. Very foolish.

If they'd just done it right, there wouldn't be all the hoo-haa.

9/10 for idea. 0/10 for execution.

the proposals what about tram passengers can you still get through or do you have to apply for a pass

Smartcard ticketing is on the horizon...It will be like London's Oyster card, where you charge up the card with cash and simply touch in the barriers at departure station and touch out at the destination station, and it automatically deducts the fare from your card, at a discounted rate.

Would be ideal - I have an Oyster card for my occasional travel to London and it's so simple and easy to use..... I look forward to something similar here!

Theres another BBQ going on somewhere that all the drivers are attending this weekend too (17th)

Really where is it and whats the weather forecast??????

BREAKING: 'Pass' plans for station bridge revealed

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryPublished Date: 14 May 2009

By Polly Rippon

PLANS were today announced to issue Sheffield residents with passes to allow them to continue using the railway station footbridge controversially closed to non-train passengers.

East Midlands Trains has come up with the idea to give bridge users a free pass which would open the electronic ticket gates.

The plans, which will now be submitted to Sheffield Council, come after a huge row broke out when access to the footbridADVERTISEMENTge was denied to people without a valid rail ticket.

Spot checks were introduced on the footbridge last week to the disgust of campaigners.

Many city residents use the route as a shortcut from Norfolk Park to Sheffield city centre.

But East Midlands Trains customer service director Jake Kelly said: "We have listened to what Sheffield has said. We want to give legitimate users of the footbridge a free electronic pass that would open the proposed automatic gates and allow them free access across the footbridge.

"We will shortly submit to Sheffield Council our application to install automatic gates, which will include offering a free pass to users of the footbridge. The council will then need to decide whether to let the status quo continue, or permit a scheme that would mean almost all users of the footbridge would have unhindered access."

The company says manual ticket checks carried out last week prevented hundreds of people trying to fraudulently access trains without a valid ticket.

Tram users, those with mobility difficulties and parents with young children in pushchairs are still allowed to cross the bridge.

Mr Kelly said: "We desperately want Sheffield City Council to allow us to introduce our electronic free pass system.

"Failure to tackle ticketless travel would be a "cheat's charter" and we are determined to stamp it out. The money it costs the transport industry could be spent improving the public transport network and keeping fares down at a time when we all know the economy is very fragile."

He added multi-million pound improvements to train services could be put in jeopardy if the footbridge was reopened without the free pass system in place.

Smartcard ticketing is on the horizon, both with SYPTE's Yorcard which is in the pilot phase

I believed Yorcard was abandoned In December. I was working on the trains looking for it, which wasn't working as they hadn't launched it.

What they actually need to stop people fare dodging is to put enough conductors on the trains. Many don't get checked as its too busy and people buy tickets on the train especially with a card.

Edited by fuzzy

BREAKING: 'Pass' plans for station bridge revealed

Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryPublished Date: 14 May 2009

By Polly Rippon

PLANS were today announced to issue Sheffield residents with passes to allow them to continue using the railway station footbridge controversially closed to non-train passengers.

East Midlands Trains has come up with the idea to give bridge users a free pass which would open the electronic ticket gates.

The plans, which will now be submitted to Sheffield Council, come after a huge row broke out when access to the footbridADVERTISEMENTge was denied to people without a valid rail ticket.

"We will shortly submit to Sheffield Council our application to install automatic gates, which will include offering a free pass to users of the footbridge. The council will then need to decide whether to let the status quo continue, or permit a scheme that would mean almost all users of the footbridge would have unhindered access."

The company says manual ticket checks carried out last week prevented hundreds of people trying to fraudulently access trains without a valid ticket.

Tram users, those with mobility difficulties and parents with young children in pushchairs are still allowed to cross the bridge.

He added multi-million pound improvements to train services could be put in jeopardy if the footbridge was reopened without the free pass system in place.

If they are going to continue access what is the point of the barriers???

And if they are going to give out passes to people then you're back to where you were with people getting access and being able to get the train and dodge fares.

It says tram users can have access. How do you get in with a tram ticket??

I have to say this is the only time i use the station to go from the tram to train, tho i usually go down and collect/buy ticket before getting on train, so how do you get in??? The point in putting the tram there was that it gave easy access to the station.

And if they are going to give out passes to people then you're back to where you were with people getting access and being able to get the train and dodge fares.

Except the situation there is, you cant get on the train and buy one with a feable excuse of you forgot etc, if your asked and you can't provide one, you've purpously avoided purchasing one, so they can hit you with a penalty fare.

Makes in an expensive risk to take, a couple of quid or twenty, if they choose to pursue prosecution, which they can, your talking several hundred.

More about changing peoples attitudes than anything, lose the culture of, it doesn't matter, i'll get one on the train.

i travelled though the station last week and was shocked about how much abuse the barrier staff were recieving from people who were walking though the station without tickets, why must people abuse these staff they are only following the rules as set out by the station managment the barrier staff should be treated with as much respect as anyone else most of these people seem to be from hallam university which i feel is very sad, what would hallam university do if everyone cut though the university to get some where without id ???? i have walked though the bridge and felt safe its a 2 min walk

prehasp we should ask why the sheffield city council cant provide better walking routes for the public or are they too busy completing there expenses

the barrier staff i met were helpful and polite as always while dealing with this abuse