Charnock Hall Infant/Junior school

Hi - Does say on the letter 60 years of Charnock Hall Primary School. I am sure they would interested in anything you have.

I saw Mr pope a few years ago he was very well and had regained his sight

I saw Mr pope a few years ago he was very well and had regained his sight

Thats good to hear

I attended Charnock Hall School from 1974 - 1982.

There is actually quite a large Facebook group for ex-pupils with lots more memories on.

I remember going orienteering and collecting fungus!!! with Mr Pope.

I went to Charnock from around 1969-1973 (Mr Smith, Mrs Oglespy, Mrs Goudie, Miss Bellamy - for 2 years), then Thornbridge 1973-1977.

I remember almost all the teachers mentioned above (and their first names!). I also have a claim to fame as being the first at Charnock to ge the slipper from Mr Pope. Actually it was the flat of his hand. Three of us were pushing each other as we lined up to go in to class at the end of break. We all got called up, told to "Bend over and touch you're toes". I was the first in the line, we'd have been out of view from the rest of the school due to the wall above the playground, but they'd have all heard us.

As I got older, I got to know Mr Pope and his wife much more. Great bloke, he took us on walks in Derbyshire to all kinds of places that I took my own kids too 20 years later. Anyone also remember his 3 wheeler Bond, a bit like a Reliant Robin?

My son and friends went to Charnock school from about 1980, it was a nice school. Mrs Bradbury was my sons teacher and she was a lovely woman, she understood that boys did not pay attention and fidgeted!

I went to charnock school junior and infants from 1965 to 1972 Great school, we always seemed to be going on trips somwhere. I even went to Austria on the school trip in 70-71? any one else go !. I still see the odd face from those days and often go passed ( not changed much) taking short cut through the estae. Mr Jarvis was my form teacher , classroom right down at the botom on the right. And who can remember the house teams : Brindly, Chantry, Hardwick, & Nightingale i think. I was in brindly BUT Chantry allways seemed to WIN. DAYS GONE BY

I even went to Austria on the school trip in 70-71? any one else go !

Ha, Yes, I went on that same trip. Remember that castle place where water shot out of silly places and just about everyone got wet? I found the place on youtube by accident once and stuck a couple of clips in my favorites. Search for Schloss Hellbrunn Wasserspiele.

Jarvo's son supposedly got pi ss ed and ate half a bar of soap!!!

Edited by kiwiowl
added detail

My ex hubby went to Charnock Hall, back in the 70s and speaks very fondly of Miss Bellamy, who I believe had Polio as a child(?) He remembers her as being inspiring, and strict but fair.

If the photos are still needed then please PM me as a few of my friends on facebook have class pics from charnock.

I was at the junior school from 1954 to 1958, I remember the p.e. teacher who used to walk around on his hands while on playground duty, and the main corridor was one furlong long, which is one eighth of a mile, allegedly, which is often used in horse racing.

I attended Charnock Hall Junior School from 1955 to 57 a few years before you Warpig. Don't remember any of the teachers' names but somewhere I have a letter of encouragement from my final class teacher after I failed the 11+ exam. Subsequently moved on to Frecheville Secondary. One thing I do remember is being taken to Staveley outdoor swimming pool for swimming lessons. Can't say I learnt to swim there ; it was freezing!

I was at Charnock 52-53 before going on to Frecheville Mr Knight was headmaster, do I know you?