Sign in to follow this  

Housing Association Prperty Exchange.

I cant believe this.

We are currently with Places For People Housing Assoc. in Hillsborough, and we wanted to exchange our 2 bed ground floor flat with another Housing Asooc tenant, (2 bed house) we both got in touch with our respective housing officers, and they both said if both parties agreed to mutually exchange, and with officers inspecting properties for damage, etc, etc, they couldn't see any problems and were free to go ahead.

Now we have just received a letter form our HA saying if the exchange were to go ahead, we would have to pay for a FULL electrical inspection and to have the gas capped off and pay (just under) £118!!!

And to top it all, the new tenant (in our property) would have to pay to have the gas uncapped!!

We only have a gas cooker (and gas central heating) and were prepared to leave the cooker connected, as was the other tenant to try and avoid these costs. We have been told we cant do this, even though the property would only be "empty" for a few days whilst we swap.

(We were both going to hire a van, he was to fill with his furniture, and we to fill our van with ours, then when we got to "his" place, empty our van and then fill it with his remaining furniture and he would do the same at this end! So saving costs.)

Anyone else had this sort of experience where they have to "pay" to exchange, or is this standard practice?

We are so annoyed, as I have just lost my job, its going to be difficult to scrape together £118.

Edited by bobsyouruncle

I would write them a letter and just express your anger and disappointment with the situation. I love a strongly worded letter writing session. You have common sense on your side - push your case and don't give up - it can get reviewed by people higher up. I am afraid I haven't got much knowledge of how the Housing assosation works however you could ask for their full policy, read through it and see whether it is policy or stupidity of the Housing people.

Sorry i can't be any more help than that but honestly - fight it and you may win.