Google Toolbar Won't Install in Mozilla Firefox

This is baffling....I updated the latest version of Mozilla FF and consequently all my toolbars have been wiped out - google, alexa ranking toolbar to name two.

So I tried to download the latest google toolbar ver 5.20090324. At the prompt, it says 'agree to T&C's' and I click install, the progress bar appears and it appears to download, then it says, 'restart firefox for changes to appear' so I do that and the toolbar is nowhere and the same install google toolbar page is there!

In mozilla I've gone to tools/add-ons and all my missing toolbars are there. So I click on the google one - the buttons are 'disable' 'uninstall' or 'options' - however when I click on any of these buttons my computer just makes a noise like 'ping' everytime I hit one of these buttons and it won't do anything, I cant even close the dialoge box! I have to do Control Alt Del to close the window.

Help please :thumbsup: thank you!

honestly, who would wan't google toolbar?

but with regards to your issue, it may be that the FF update changed how toolbars are handled, and google need to update the toolbar to work with it? - I don't know as I don't use (and utterly hate) google toolbar..

i use to have it but its not been compatible for last few ff updates.

Google > everything but Google toolbar sucks serious amounts of arse IMO.

I know it'd be a (slight) bain, but i'd suggest uninstalling FF and then reinstalling a new copy of the latest.

I updated last week and there were a few bugs, but there was another update a few days ago and all seems well so far. This said, bugs do seem to get sorted quicker on the Linux release.

But FF might have been updated and the Google toolbar hasn't been brought up to scratch. So if you still have issues, revert back to an older version of FF where you knew that the Google toolbar worked. It's not always a bonus to be on the bleeding edge.

Do you see?

I've got to ask, are you blind?

I've got to ask, are you blind?

No.

Do you see? Is a quote from an old Teletext games page I used to read called Digitiser (Google is your friend for details).

I've never played a teletext game...

Can you restore it and try again?

Ghozer - just out of interest why do you not like Google toolbar?

Edited by alicat_26
sp

Google toolbar - I use it for quick gmail access, and to keep an eye on page rank on my website. Also the big 'Google' button is useful to get to google maps/video/shopping whatever else.

I will try an install a previous version of FF, otherwise guess I will live without for the time being! Thanks for the replies!

Ghozer - just out of interest why do you not like Google toolbar?

I don't see a point in it... it slows the browser down (loading and page viewing) and anything that it does can be done on the browser any way (google search > top left, email - just bookmark it.. etc) it's googles answer to bloatware.