Help with rat

my son had 2 rats last year and which died hes wanting just one rat is it ok 2 have just one rat as he doesnt want 2 rat will that me kk i hope so if so does anybody have a 2 or 3 tia cage thanks

Really better for the rats if they have at least one cage mate, the are social creatures and really do benefit from ratty company.

I personally think two plus are much better together as they are social animals but you could have one if you make sure that it is given a lot of good attention, every day and plenty to do in its cage. We just had an old man whose brother had died for the last few months of his life and made sure he was out about 3 or four hours a day and changed his cage round lots, to keep him entertained.

Rats can be susceptible to human illnesses. My first lot when I was about 12 caught a cold from me and died, which was extremely traumatising to know that I'd done that, so be careful if you have any catchy illnesses around them.

As the others have said rats really do need company, here's a good aricle: http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/information/guides.php?subject=company

I don't agree bogwoppit, no matter how much time you can spend with 1 rat you can't speak rat, it just isn't good enough for them. In addition, rats are not susceptible to human illnesses - viruses are species specific, very rarely do they cross that barrier (see swine flu for example). So you can stop feeling guilty - if they all died then there was something contagious such as SDA Virus (http://www.nfrs.org/sendai.html) in your group which is often lethal to rats. If you rats died of respiratory failure that will most likely be linked to the mycoplasma bacteria or a secondry infection. Baytril and other antibiotics (if given at the right dose) are frequently effective if it's caught early.

I have been told by quite a lot of people that rats can catch colds and flu and to be wary and get someone else to feed and play if you are sniffly - have always played it safe with the rats I've had since. It was nearly enough to traumatise a 12yr old who dearly loved her rats.

I do really agree about them not being alone, was just trying to point out then when we did have Walter on his own after his brother had died we gave him a huge amount of attention to try and compensate but you're right, it is a poor substitute for ratty companions.

What are your reasons for not wanting 2 rats, Bones?

Well bogwoppit - I would go ask your vet, because you'll be pleased to know it's actually complete rubbish :)

You can transfer germs between rats (like on your hands, clothes etc) but you can't give your rats human colds, just like they can't give you the sniffles.

I appreciate you were traumatised, but there really was no need to be. You didn't infect them.

Agreed on the two rats thing - but buying 1 rat just because you want one rat isn't okay. I understand you may end up with a lone rat after its friend passing (a good reason to get 3!).

Here you go, just so you know I'm not just trying it on, let go of your guilt:

http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=110034&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=catch+human+cold

http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=105533&p=1059563&hilit=catch+human+cold#p1059563

Rat's can't even get the cold virus - let alone catch it from you.

Edited by hels1977

Thanks for that, I'll try to let the guilt go. Fortunately I am very rarely ill anyway so apart from the guilt about my first two (RIP Pinkle and Squirmy) it hasn't affected the rats I've had since too much.

Does you know of anyone who rescues rats actually? We would like a couple of dumbo boys but I don't want to buy from a pet shop or a breeder really - would prefer to get some rescues. Been about a year since Walter went and think we are just about ready again...

Thanks for that, I'll try to let the guilt go. Fortunately I am very rarely ill anyway so apart from the guilt about my first two (RIP Pinkle and Squirmy) it hasn't affected the rats I've had since too much.

Does you know of anyone who rescues rats actually? We would like a couple of dumbo boys but I don't want to buy from a pet shop or a breeder really - would prefer to get some rescues. Been about a year since Walter went and think we are just about ready again...

Awww, RIP Pinkle and Squirmy :(

I do actually :hihi: I only keep rescues - much like yourself by the sound of it. I'm up in Leeds tomorrow so I'll see what rescues are there (where most of mine come from). You can also check out: http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/viewforum.php?f=23. There's rescues in Lincoln & Sheffield too.

Don't worry about the distance, sometimes a rat train can be arranged etc. Oooh look: http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=118661 I don't know if they're dumbo, but top ears are pretty cute too.

I have 3 top eared rescue girlies and 2 dumbo girlies all living in a 5 * tower accomodation currently!! :hihi:

Edited by hels1977

Kewl, I'll have a peruse on the websites. If you could let me know if there's anything in Leeds as well that would be ace. I'm not too fussed about them being dumbos or even boys for that matter - that's just my slight preference but I'll love whatever comes my way :-)

Have a small cage (one of those standard small rat cages - ok for short term but not for any long time periods) already and there's a big one I'm in the process of aquiring so would be ready for them as soon as!

Thanks

Sarah

eeek just seen archy and arty - they sound fab. Biting will soon settle down with a bit of peace and quiet. I am susposed to be essay writing so will hold off before registering on the site and replying but very exciting.

Thanks loads Hels

Hi Sarah

Glad you like the sound of those boys. I have a slight preference for dumbos too but my top-eared girlies are lovely too :love:

If you want I can enquire on your behalf. Drop me a PM on here if you'd like me too, I'm sure we'll get you a couple of lovely boys soon. There's so many needing loving homes. :(

xx

I registered and sent them a PM, always get a bit excited when it comes to a new addition to the tribe. Fingers crossed they will get back to me...

Thanks so much and I'll let you know if these two don't work out.

xx