Job situation in Sheffield

I am a 17 year old American who wants to move to the U.K. and is considering Sheffield. What are the job opportunities for an 18 or 19 year old in Sheffield? How hard is it to get a job?

Edited by helen3618

In the beginning, I'm looking for anything that will get me by. I would be interested in a job at a local paper, since that's what I do now. But I'm not too choosy, as long as I can live off it with possibly a roommate.

What kind of work are you looking for? And what experience do you have?? They're the main questions you need to be thinking....

I have minimal experience in construction and a year's experience in journalism (though only for a paper with a circulation of 7,900), and that's about it.

I doubt you'd get a job in a local paper shop as they are more than likely run by families... however they're large supermarkets like asda/morrisons always looking for staff. And fast food places like KFC/burger king and mcdonalds which are pretty easy to get....

I have minimal experience in construction and a year's experience in journalism (though only for a paper with a circulation of 7,900), and that's about it.

I would drop reference to the 7,900 if I were you. It is almost like you are apologising.

You either have paper experience or you haven't. Be positive and sell yourself.

I am a 17 year old American who wants to move to the U.K. and is considering Sheffield. What are the job opportunities for an 18 or 19 year old in Sheffield? How hard is it to get a job?

Are you American or Mexican (Oink Oink) :suspect:

I'm not sure what the market is for getting a job in the media.

And if you mean a paper shop, ignore these bafoons on about family run.

GT News always recruiting, although most of the work is part time down there.

Most of the big DIY stores are recruiting as they always do for the busy summer rushes.

The Retail Park "something in sheffield" HomeBase, Jollyes, Aldi and curreys were recruiting lastweek and I know homebase still are since I work for them :P

Theres plenty of jobs if you have nothing high to set too, these stuck up there own asses kinda people wont work as a cleaner because they see it as "Lowering themselfs" pathetic really.

america is still a land of opportunity mate,dont bother with the uk its a total mess now

There are loads of jobs around, maybe not as many as 12-18 months ago, but there are still plenty going!! The issue is that there is more competition for what is available so you really need to be able to sell yourself.

I was made redundant in September last year, and since then have gotten 2 new jobs, the first £1k more than I was on and now £5k more than I was on in September, much better benefits and closer to home. I consider myslef lucky, but don't listen to the negative people on here, shoot for the stars and you may get to the moon!!

good luck :)