Plants for Shaded Areas

Hi

The front of our house only gets sun on it from around 6.30am until 10.00am.

We don't have any soil or grass but we'd like to put some pots on the front with plants in them.

What will survive in pots with not very much shade at all?

Thank you

Hostas will love it in the shade, but they're magnets for snails and slugs, so you'd need to be careful with them. They're really lovely foliage plants though, so they'd look fab if you could protect them.

I love hostas! But I'm scared of the snail damage too. Ferns like shade, so worth looking into.

Thank you for your help.

If the plants are going in pots, would it be worthwhile buying one of those copper rings that supposedly puts snails off?

Hostas are my fave too for a shaded area. :)

there's all sorts you can grow in the shade. Some prefer damp shade, other dry shade, but in pots you have the best of it.

Dog's Tooth Violet (Erythronium)

Snowdrops

Ferns

Hellebores

Hardy Geranium (Cranesbill?) usually best in the ground, but you can grow them in a big pot as long as you divide it every couple of years

Heuchera

Hosta

Daffodils

Buxus balls would look nice in pots outfront, or little bay trees.

Pansy

Fuschia

Busy Lizzies

hydrangea - if you buy a blue one, you should be able to keep it blue by potting it in ercaceous compost, using the same for feeding, but best if watered with rain water as they'll turn pink if lime is introduced.