Old Hare and Hounds Pub, Nursery Street

Don't know exactly, I'm guessing over 20 years ago. The building is still there, now a private residence. They won't have many problems with the neighbours !

if you came out of the small room where the stage and mike's were you entered a small passage that seperated the rooms,this led you to the bar

as you faced the bar the toilet door was to your right, once opened it led to a courtyard the toilet was at the top of the yard,the door to the right directly at the end of the bar led to the upstairs where bands used to practise

you must not have been in it for a long time before it closed.

i used to go in from the late 80's onwards and there was a small snug to the left when you walked in which could only hold about 8 people. the rest was pretty much open plan with a door to the toilets at the end.

the only pubs i remember with outside toilets were the museum in the town centre and the old harlequin on johnson street.

I never went in this pub even though I used to visit the Wicker pubs. Did the Hare and Hounds close due to been flood damaged as at the back theirs a river like what happened to the Farfield pub on Neepsend Lane?

I never went in this pub even though I used to visit the Wicker pubs. Did the Hare and Hounds close due to been flood damaged as at the back theirs a river like what happened to the Farfield pub on Neepsend Lane?

No, it closed a long time before this (the floods were in 2007). It's actually a very old site and one of the reasons it and the site next to it have not been knocked down is because there is believed to be some important archaeology beneath it.

No, it closed a long time before this (the floods were in 2007). It's actually a very old site and one of the reasons it and the site next to it have not been knocked down is because there is believed to be some important archaeology beneath it.

if there is some important archeology beneath it then maybe it's time to knock the buildings down and expose it. it could then be included in the archeological theme park which the old markets is going to become.

Always thought this place is close enough to the Kelham Island pubs to make it a potential addition to the trail. Just needs someone with a vision , and a lot of cash.

Hi all.

Anyone got any ideas when the Hare and Hounds pub closed on Nursery Street, and who owns the land.

I know the Council can probably tell me this, but wanted to see what you lot all knew first.

Live next to this building and it is fast becoming an eyesore, the front window has now been smashed and last night I received a death threat for daring to shout out of the window to stop some youths trespassing inside the building. Needless to say I called the police and out they came with dogs!

Have also reported the building as unsafe to the Council.

Regards

This is truly shocking.

You reported some anti-social behaviour to the police and the police actually came out to investigate?!

...Just need to sit down for a breather.

This is truly shocking.

You reported some anti-social behaviour to the police and the police actually came out to investigate?!

...Just need to sit down for a breather.

Given that it was 7 years ago now I'm sure the OP has recovered (and long gone probably) :rolleyes:

it did a good job of demolishing itself a couple of months ago so they had to knock it down pretty sharpish