Old Hare and Hounds Pub, Nursery Street

Hi all.

Anyone got any ideas when the Hare and Hounds pub closed on Nursery Street, and who owns the land.

I know the Council can probably tell me this, but wanted to see what you lot all knew first.

Live next to this building and it is fast becoming an eyesore, the front window has now been smashed and last night I received a death threat for daring to shout out of the window to stop some youths trespassing inside the building. Needless to say I called the police and out they came with dogs!

Have also reported the building as unsafe to the Council.

Regards

Edited by bradley1983

And you have just advertised the fact here????

I'm sure the police would have contacted the concil with regards to the anti social behaviour

And you have just advertised the fact here????

I'm sure the police would have contacted the concil with regards to the anti social behaviour

You would think so, wouldn't you?

There is no harm in doing my neighbourly duty and reporting it as well.

Plus, with all due respect, the type of people who fancy sleeping rough in there and/or seeing what they can ransack are not the type of people you will get on a forum like this!

ANYWAY, as a point of interest, how long has the pub been closed for?

Was it a bit like the Big Gun and Tap and Barrel, i.e. attracting a "certain" type of customer?

You would think so, wouldn't you?

There is no harm in doing my neighbourly duty and reporting it as well.

Plus, with all due respect, the type of people who fancy sleeping rough in there and/or seeing what they can ransack are not the type of people you will get on a forum like this!

ANYWAY, as a point of interest, how long has the pub been closed for?

Was it a bit like the Big Gun and Tap and Barrel, i.e. attracting a "certain" type of customer?

it was a good pub in it's day i think the outside toilet had something to do with the closure but not sure,i was told that a landlord must be able to view his toilets from the bar

it closed at the end of 2001 beging of 2002. i knew the last landlord.it was run by enterprise inns at the time not sure who owns it now

it was a good pub in it's day i think the outside toilet had something to do with the closure but not sure,i was told that a landlord must be able to view his toilets from the bar

Thats unbelievable, there are absolutely loads of pubs where the toilets cant be seen from the bar. :huh:

Outside toilet? I can't remember going to that.

Unless me peeing in the corner was why it closed

it was a nice little pub.

as far as i recall the toilets were not outside and the door to them was visible from the bar, certainly more visible than many pubs.

what killed it more than anything was lack of custom for all sorts of reasons.

i believe it was being used as site offices by the people who built the adjacent flats and presumably at that point the building would have been de-licensed.

Thats unbelievable, there are absolutely loads of pubs where the toilets cant be seen from the bar. :huh:
as i said ..i was told ..this was after the pub up at the top of dam flask was closed ,that was the reason i was given for it's closure

i think it was the plough inn

The Plough is very much open, was in there sunday. Pubs in Bradfield that have closed (albeit over 20 years ago), are The Cross and The Haychatter.

it was a nice little pub.

as far as i recall the toilets were not outside and the door to them was visible from the bar, certainly more visible than many pubs.

what killed it more than anything was lack of custom for all sorts of reasons.

i believe it was being used as site offices by the people who built the adjacent flats and presumably at that point the building would have been de-licensed.

if you came out of the small room where the stage and mike's were you entered a small passage that seperated the rooms,this led you to the bar

as you faced the bar the toilet door was to your right, once opened it led to a courtyard the toilet was at the top of the yard,the door to the right directly at the end of the bar led to the upstairs where bands used to practise

The Plough is very much open, was in there sunday. Pubs in Bradfield that have closed (albeit over 20 years ago), are The Cross and The Haychatter.

The Haychatters :) theres a blast from the past, I aint been in there for donkeys years, when did it close ? :huh: