German POW Lodge Moor Sheffield

Believe or not my Father In law was a POW at Lodge Moor, how strange is that ? The first time he came to my parents home in Melbourne Australia he recognized the painting of Coles Corner Mum and dad had in their hallway . He said the POW used to gather there to be picked up by the prison bus after being given a day out in town he said they were treated really well , unlike when he was a POW in Canada . Not sure of his group or what year but he was in the german navy

Believe or not my Father In law was a POW at Lodge Moor, how strange is that ? The first time he came to my parents home in Melbourne Australia he recognized the painting of Coles Corner Mum and dad had in their hallway . He said the POW used to gather there to be picked up by the prison bus after being given a day out in town he said they were treated really well , unlike when he was a POW in Canada . Not sure of his group or what year but he was in the german navy

Wow! That's an amazing story!

From a personal point of view, I think it's important that stories such as this are recorded in writing and preserved. Maybe the University of Sheffield or a Sheffield historical group would find your father-in-law's story of immense value.

I always thought that POW's were kept secure. I didn't realise that some camps allowed them out on trust. Brings a whole different perspective to the Geneva Convention, doesn't it?

As far as I know the POW's were never allowed out during the war; it was only afterwards that they were allowed to leave the camp (most of them didn't return to Germany until 1948 ). My grandparents befriended a prisoner whom they invited for Christmas 1946, after seeing a notice in The Star. He had learned English at Lodge Moor, and being good with his hands he made various things as presents for the friends he made in Sheffield - he was very surprised at how friendly the people were towards him. In 1947-48 he worked on a farm near Wakefield, and also building prefabs. He went home in June 1948.

A former workmate of mine remembers, during the war, seeing the prisoners through the wire - his dad threw a packet of Park Drive over and received a wooden "monkey on a stick" in return.

A guy I knew several years ago in Bavaria, Fritz Rokos, was a German paratrooper captured at Monte Cassino.

He told me that he ended up acting as valet to a young British officer at the POW camp in Italy.

Fritz told me that they got on well and the officer took him with him on trips outside the camp to bars, restaurants and even the local brothel !

"For me it was more like a holiday camp than a prison camp" he said.

I made a film about 6 years ago filmed entirely in the ruins of Lodge Moor POW camp....copies can be made available I will try and stick in on u tube

I made a film about 6 years ago filmed entirely in the ruins of Lodge Moor POW camp....copies can be made available I will try and stick in on u tube

That would be great if you can manage it - keep us informed!.:)

My Grandfather was a Kommando in the German Navy. Mini submarine pilot.

Just out of interest what unit was your Grandfather in ( maybe the 84th inf Div) ?

My Grandfather was a Kommando in the German Kreigsmarine. He was a pilot of a Mini Submarine. What do yopu know about Long Moor?

Thank you

When I was a child in the 1940s we used to be taken to Wyming Brook for picnics the bus stopped then at Lodge Moor hospital and we had to walk past the POW camp to get to Wyming Brook sometimes the prisoners were outside and they handed us sweets. I visited the sight only last year the camp is now a pine wood and Wyming Brook is overgrown with trees and shrubs with only a small clear area by the stream, but it still brought back happy memories.