18 Boyce Street

I'm restoring 18 Boyce street and was wondering if anyone had been in the property and can remember what it was like back in the day?

Have you found something interesting in there?? Or are you trying to put things back where they belong? I could possibly help you with info about what is supposed to be where in a terrace of that period... Haven't been in your house though, sorry!

Hi cleveland - I can't tell you anything about the house in days gone by, but I can tell you who lived there at certain times. The houses were evidently built around 1894, and the 1898 directory shows an "Albert Henry Howe, tailor" at No 18. Information from those directories that are in the public area of the Local Studies Library (there are some long gaps) is as follows:

..1902...........Levi Jacob, hawker

..1903-05.....Harry Staniland, pearl cutter (working on pearl-handled knives)

..1907-22.....John Thomas Barnsley, tool maker. He had moved from Bradley Street with his wife Annie and children George, Arthur and Alice. At the time of the 1901 census Annie was described as a "file cutter". John Barnsley died aged 51 in 1923, and his wife became the householder:

..1923-34......Mrs Annie Barnsley

When Annie died, her daughter evidently took over:

..1957-68......Miss Alice Barnsley

Alice moved away in c. 1969 and died aged 84 in January 1984.

..1971-74+....Peter Barkworth

Edited by hillsbro

thanks for your help, thats really good of you.

Barry Green lived at no. 8 in the 1950s anyone know him?