Are university degrees now worthless?

My pal is an administrator at Manchester University and he says plagiarism is widespread these days with lecturers always griping about it.

I can't believe that anyone would go through all those years of work only to submit a hackneyed thesis at the end. I find it baffling, but it's apparently the easiest option for many partied-up students.

I do agree that it is pretty sad that we run our universities like a business these days. It should not be that way. A lot of the courses are devalued in our quest to increase statistically the numbers of students who goes to university. Then there are also not many jobs lined up for them in return. I think it is now down to the Commerce sector to see and scope what the emerging businesses are, and try to match the courses with the work. Which should have been the case from day one.

The universities should try and brand themselves globally and still continually enhance their own research and reputation.

One thing I did not know was that the Chemistry Dept of the Sheff Uni was so reputable, as is the Mechanics Dept.

Sheffield University has a good reputation, but like many others, I am sure they need to look at it as a business. They receive a lot of money from International students and the University would struggle with out this income. Just look how Sheffield and Shefffield Hallam Universities are expanding.

What I do believe though is that for the economy, there is little point in studying a degree to come away and look for a job and realise that after all the time involved and all the costs there is little opportunity to get in to paid long term emplyment at the end of it.

I agree that we should look at the needs of the job market for the next 5 years or so and tailor all courses to meet the needs of that.

Many students want to do media studies as people on TV earn more than our MPs, but how many jobs are there out there at 90k a year?So many get a degree but what then?

Working for 14k in a call centre isnt what you spend 3/4 years studying for. You could do that without a degree.

It's not always the fault of the university though because there has been a cut in the amount that they get from central government. So they have to run themselves as a business. Hence there is an introduction to overseas distant learning courses to re-cooperate some of the running costs which occurs in the UK.

I know my poor old uni got merged because of this. It was such a shame to see so many years of history and excellence to be wiped in one single swoop and the knowlegde and skills were lost altogether! If I was a CEO, I would at least try and continue that kind of research of excellence by sponsorship and so forth. I used to think that it was unjust and that there exists an old school boy's network, but if you think about it, these people kind of propped up the system for anybody and future generation to continue to use the universities. A lot of donors believed in education. I respect that a lot.