Are university degrees now worthless?

Not neccesarily a waste of those years at all. What if someone has a passion for archeology? What if by fulfilling that desire to do it, they are a happier and more balanced person afterwards as a result. Just because you can't measure the results in money, doesn't mean it wasn't a success

Very true, I have a degree in Film Studies, but have no real desire to move to Hollywood. Its purely for personal evolution, I do not consider most degrees as having any vocational value any more, not these days, excluding the OBVIOUS subjects, law,Medicine, etc.....ie u generally would not take a medical degree just to' better yourself' ..its a career move...

Very true, I have a degree in Film Studies, but have no real desire to move to Hollywood. Its purely for personal evolution, I do not consider most degrees as having any vocational value any more, not these days, excluding the OBVIOUS subjects, law,Medicine, etc.....ie u generally would not take a medical degree just to' better yourself' ..its a career move...

I guess that many coming from a working class background dont have the option to study a subject just for personal evolution though.

I guess that many coming from a working class background dont have the option to study a subject just for personal evolution though.

If a person wants to enough, there is always a way.

What I have an issue with is people who do degrees for doing a degree's sake. Mainly 18 year olds and mainly the fault of snobby and pushy parents who just need to be able to say "my son/daughter is at university", so they do non-subjects that they have no interest in just because they feel that's what they are supposed to do.

If a person wants to enough, there is always a way.

What I have an issue with is people who do degrees for doing a degree's sake. Mainly 18 year olds and mainly the fault of snobby and pushy parents who just need to be able to say "my son/daughter is at university", so they do non-subjects that they have no interest in just because they feel that's what they are supposed to do.

I didn't want to go to university and my parents did everything they could to try and get me to see the light. I'd have to say it's one of the best decisions I've made. I wouldn't even say that what you do at university is largely important unless you're aiming to do something specific in later life. University is there to give people the chance to learn independence - not just in the way they live, but in the way they learn and apply it to work.

Not neccesarily a waste of those years at all. What if someone has a passion for archeology? What if by fulfilling that desire to do it, they are a happier and more balanced person afterwards as a result. Just because you can't measure the results in money, doesn't mean it wasn't a success

There's no way I would do a degree just for pleasure, under the current circumstances. The amount of money you have to pay is totally unrealistic, unless it has a good chance of leading you into a higher paid job fairly quickly.

I know loads of graduates who are still sitting around not doing anything, nearly a year after finishing. Seems like a waste of time!

I agree the amount of money students have to fork out is completely ridiculous.

On the other hand, I don't think you can put a price on a good education. Knowledge is power - and it's something that's important in life, regardless of finantial gain.

Besides, I'm about to finish my course this academic year and although I'm worried that I'll be entering a difficult climate, I also know that I'll have this qualification for life.

I went to uni initially because I'd worked full-time for two years and hated it. I'd have sold my soul to the devil to get out of 9 - 5 life so a £14,000 loan and a large overdraft seemed pretty reasonable at the time. And still does, in fact.

I did a degree that is about as far from vocational as you can get without falling over.

I didn't want to go to university and my parents did everything they could to try and get me to see the light. I'd have to say it's one of the best decisions I've made. I wouldn't even say that what you do at university is largely important unless you're aiming to do something specific in later life. University is there to give people the chance to learn independence - not just in the way they live, but in the way they learn and apply it to work.

Very good and fair points.

From my own point of view though, i'm glad I didn't go at 18 as it means I can now get funding to do something I really want to do and that will benefit me in the world of work.

There's no way I would do a degree just for pleasure, under the current circumstances. The amount of money you have to pay is totally unrealistic, unless it has a good chance of leading you into a higher paid job fairly quickly.

I know loads of graduates who are still sitting around not doing anything, nearly a year after finishing. Seems like a waste of time!

I was about to, although i've since changed my focus to doing something more vocational shall we say.

Thing is, there are some awful jobs (awful for various reasons) that pay very well, personally i'm happy with x amount of salary and see anything over that as a bonus. I'd expect to be earning less when I graduate than I was in my last job, but with far more scope to do interesting things. It ain't all about the money, not for me anyway

I hope they aren't all worthless. My daughter is putting in some blumin hard work towards her biomedical science degree. End of year exams next week!

Back to the plagiarism software, won't the software become useless in time anyway, as it will eventually show 100% on every essay, and plagerism an inevitable crime, sooner or later all possible combinations of words will be used, especially with a global net connection, and language translators built into search engines.

Edited by Digsy

I think a good tutor can recognize plagiarism.