Anyone know and local gluten free fish and chip shops near sheffield?

I'm not at all surprised that the foaming at the mouth, angry mob who are all over other threads complaining that it's a disgrace that Subway on London Rd doesn't offer any pork for religious reasons don't seem to mind that there a chippy in Sheffield selling Fish and Chips, not made the traditional British way (ie with Flour) but without Gluten.

I wonder why they don't find that so irksome?

Green Steps do it. My friend went who hasn't been able to indulge for years with her family in the treat of fish and chips and declared it a major success!

I don't think they taste any different than normal fish and chips - I could be wrong - but I have had GF cakes and they taste yum.

Enjoy your scoff rachelred!

ooh Green Steps is great; I've only had their food once, but it was really good to have lots of vegetarian choice in a chippy. I'd recommend the mushrooms, but next time I think I'm going to have the veggie chilli pie. Enjoy!

I'm not at all surprised that the foaming at the mouth, angry mob who are all over other threads complaining that it's a disgrace that Subway on London Rd doesn't offer any pork for religious reasons don't seem to mind that there a chippy in Sheffield selling Fish and Chips, not made the traditional British way (ie with Flour) but without Gluten.

I wonder why they don't find that so irksome?

i think you'll find that green steps also offer fish and chips withy normal flour, and also its medical not religious so cant really be compared. and yes, they are awesome.

I'm a gluten eating carnivoure, usually get my fish at Two Steps and tried Green Steps last week. The fish was even nicer, and I couldn't tell the difference between the chips, all tasty! It's good to have a choice to have the more sustainably sourced fish. Big up to Green Steps.

Bit of a treck out of Sheffield but Woody's in Barnsley also does gluten free fish and chips with a choice of cod or haddock. Both Frozen At Sea from sustainable stocks off of Iceland. I've not had fish and chips in years but now I travel all the way from the other side of Wakefield for them every other week, they are FANTASTIC!! Will be trying their JUMBO cod next week I'm told it's to die for :) You can find where they are by searching for their facebook page. Simply search for "fish and chips barnsley" through google or "Woody's fish and chips" through Facebook

Hi

I co-own Otto's Restaurant on Sharrow Vale Road and we do quite a few gluten-free options. Moroccan food, especially the sauces, are generally gluten-free. Just avoid the accompaniments like couscous, we can do it with rice. I also have a friend who is coeliac and she has described many times

how she has been made ill by meals out because the staff don't know

what gluten is and where it is found.

Our main menu is here if you want to have a look

http://www.ottosrestaurant.co.uk/page2.html

Good luck with the gluten-free quest

Regards

Tad1

The good thing about green steps is that they only use gluten free batter.

Most other fish and chips shops will do gluten free one day of the month and even then it's pre-order.

I think the Fat Cat does gluten free food - ok not just fish and chips but just so you know. La Tasca and Las Iguanas have GF marked on the menu

HTH

CodFellas in Chesterfield does Gluten and wheat free fish and chips every Monday, (all battered foods are Gluten Free), we have a separate pan for gluten free days. It is very popular every Monday.

We fry in Dripping for more traditional taste, we only use "Fresh Fish" and fresh potatoes.

You can visit us at CodFellas Fish Bar, 77 nowbold road, Chesterfield, S41 7PY 01246 235 615.

Edited by codfellas
add more information

I went to Green Steps recently and enjoyed it.

To be fair I eat Gluten for fun, I just thought their attention to detail may carry over to general quality and it seemed the case when I went. The sustainable fish policy also attracted me and end result was a big piece of fish for smaller sized Cod money. I didn't notice much of a difference and what I did didn't detract from it over traditional Cod or Haddock. Will be going again, I get the impression it will be consistent.

:help:

Hello all! I have been twice to Green Steps and thouroughly enjoyed proper fish and chips again after years of thinking I would never taste them again.

However! I went about a month ago on Wednesday lunch time and was disapointed to find them closed.

Can anyone confirm that they are still operating and what days are they open at lunchtime. I am unable to get there on Saturdays but Fridays would be ok.

I have rang the number on the website a few times but been unable to get a reply.:help:

Janet