How to get rid of Bindweed

flamethrower

I like the idea. I don't have one of those; and a creme brulee torch isn't quite the same, is it. :hihi:

I like the idea. I don't have one of those; and a creme brulee torch isn't quite the same, is it. :hihi:

I found the roundup in the black packaging for tree stumps (but in weaker) dilution works

Just started doing my allotment again and will make a note of that weed killer in case I need it thanks

the best thing is definitely glyophosphate, which is absorbed by the leaves and kills the plant right down to the roots - but takes several weeks to get through the system and kill everything. Once you understand that this is how it works, you need to realise that this means if you start pulling bits up, you basically stop the weedkiller killing the whole plant. So do not be tempted to dig or pull up part of the plant, just treat with glyophosphate and wait.

You can paint it on with a paintbrush which is good if it is in the midst of useful/ wanted plants.

Hope this helps.

xx

If you use glyophospate on bind weed can you grow veg in the same plot or do you have to wait a while

Kew gardens use the method of putting canes about 9" away from the edge of the affected area, they then train the bindweed up the canes. After about 2 weeks or so they spray the bindweed with round up. It may take a season to get rid of the bindweed, but I've used this method in the back garden & it works.

If you use glyophospate on bind weed can you grow veg in the same plot or do you have to wait a while

Hello,

Yeah you can grow stuff because the chemicals break down quickly in the soil, but if sprayed on leaves (eg of weeds) they will be dranw into the plant and kill it from within. If you doused the soil with gallons of the stuff you might have problems, but that's not how to apply it anyway- the idea above of training it up canes is brilliant, because the more leaf surface you apply the glyphosate to, the more is absorbed so the more chance there is for the roots to be killed.

Digging and choping away at the rootball, sadly, is not going to help it will just end up with lots of smaller separate plants.

Does anyone have any advice of how to get rid of bindweed . My allotment is over run with it. Regards A.Jones

perseverance

i have a very large garden, its a pain this stuff just cut at the bottom of the bind when it starts growing or now we tried every weed killer there is it dont work

After clearing the ground I put in canes for the weed to climb and then when about 30cm spray it with a systemic weedkiller making sure I use a guard to stop over spray

Persevering with this method is gradually working