How to get rid of Bindweed

Hi

Got lots of bindweed in my garden. Anyone any suggestions about how to get rid of it?

Thanks

I hope someone does have some good advice on this, as I've spent loads of time today pulling all the roots out of the allotment. It creeps in from the neighbouring path, and there seems to be no stopping it. I've read the roots can go down up to 5m so I was probably just delaying the inevitable :mad: I think you just have to keep pulling up the roots and hoeing off the tops of new shoots and eventually it goes...

That is the most friendly way of doing it - remove all leaves as soon as they appear and with no light it will eventually die... it will take some time though. I am also having bindweed problems - the vine all looked dead when I pulled it all out to make the raised veggie garden at school (I assumed someone had sprayed it before), but coming back after Easter the blighter has started to grow again big style and I'm worried about it killing my veg :( After speaking to some people doing some landscaping work at school, I have been advised that the only real way to get rid of it is by using a glycophosphate spray (as I can't dig it out as it is growing in the tiny gap between the tarmac on the floor and the school wall). Another way apparently if you dont want to spray is to dip the end in glycophoshate solution and immediately bag it so it doesn't touch anything else. You can try and dig it out but its one of those weeds where the tiniest bit of root left will mean it will regrow!

That is the most friendly way of doing it - remove all leaves as soon as they appear and with no light it will eventually die... it will take some time though. I am also having bindweed problems - the vine all looked dead when I pulled it all out to make the raised veggie garden at school (I assumed someone had sprayed it before), but coming back after Easter the blighter has started to grow again big style and I'm worried about it killing my veg :( After speaking to some people doing some landscaping work at school, I have been advised that the only real way to get rid of it is by using a glycophosphate spray (as I can't dig it out as it is growing in the tiny gap between the tarmac on the floor and the school wall). Another way apparently if you dont want to spray is to dip the end in glycophoshate solution and immediately bag it so it doesn't touch anything else. You can try and dig it out but its one of those weeds where the tiniest bit of root left will mean it will regrow!

I heard something similar. Get a decent weedkiller (liquid) and pour some into the bottom of a one pint milk bottle. Then tie the milk bottle to a tent peg or cane (to stop it falling over) and dip the end of the weed in, and leave. Obviously this needs to be done carefully - especially if you've got kids or pets. I've tried it and it seemed to work well - apart from I've got a load more coming through again this year, but in a different place :rant:

the best thing is definitely glyophosphate, which is absorbed by the leaves and kills the plant right down to the roots - but takes several weeks to get through the system and kill everything. Once you understand that this is how it works, you need to realise that this means if you start pulling bits up, you basically stop the weedkiller killing the whole plant. So do not be tempted to dig or pull up part of the plant, just treat with glyophosphate and wait.

You can paint it on with a paintbrush which is good if it is in the midst of useful/ wanted plants.

Hope this helps.

xx

From past experiance of this and ivy which are both impossible to remove without weedkiller we found the best way initially at least is to cut the plants back to leave some fresh growth and then apply the weedkiller at this stage the plant is trying to recover the damage and is most easily going to absorb the weedkiller. This will not be the end of the plant however and as soon as new growth appears this will need weedkiller applying this will certainly help keep on top but to say thats the end of either type is unlikely in the long term. Stick at it it will diminish.

I found weed killer to be totally ineffective on bindweed and have spent ages carefully digging it out - its creeping back in from the hedges, sadly I don't think you can ever get rid of it unless you can totally dig up the area. The tiniest bit will regrow - its a nightmare.

I've used Round up a couple of times successfully you need to be careful to keep it away from other plants though as it kills pretty much everything. I've used it on a small patch of Japanese Knotweed on a vacant lot next to a house with some success.

The Resolve I sprayed on mine on Friday seems to have started to take hold - there are definite brown patches on the leaves. I hope it slows down its regrowth even if it doesnt remove it totally.

The only weedkiller chemical that will kill the whole plant is glyphosphate- the active ingredient in 'Roundup' but also sold as own brand by at least b+q and wilko to my knowledge.

It is absorbed by the leaves and over a period of several WEEKS is taken backdown through the roots and can kill the whole plant.

Other weedkiller chemicals ma scroch the leaves or knock it back, but it will survive at the roots and grow back from there.

And unfortuantely, ANYTHING you do which ends up with the plant being in several pieces under the ground will result in it growing back. So, for example, you dig it up. You can't dig it ALL up cos it's too deep. So what you will actually have done is dug up what you can and broken what you can get at away from the resty of the roots. Instead of one plant, each bit of root will grow back as a separate plant. EG on my allotment i had bindweed in one spot. For all i know it could have been all one plant, just growing out the ground from two stems a little way apart. If i paint on glyophosphate on one stem, eventually it will kill the lot. However, if i try and dig it up, or even glphosphate it then when it seem sto have withered away, dig it up, i will have left lots of bits under thr ground that will come back.

So i suppose i;m saying carefully apply glophosphate, then WAIT WAIT WAIT, re-applying to any new growth but resist absolutely the urge to dig pull and chop.

I am a bit obsessed about this having struggled for 4 years against the weeds on my allotment- does it show?!

I am a bit obsessed about this having struggled for 4 years against the weeds on my allotment- does it show?!

I feel your pain :(

I've taken over a garden that was previously owned by an elderly couple.

There is a bindweed plant in the front garden that has been 'managed' for years and not dug up. The root is a twisted ball about 25cm wide made up of stems about 5cm in diameter. It put out a whole load of shoots this summer, which I took off and burned, but doesn't seem to come up anywhere else in the garden. It's buried in a concrete path and I've no clue how to dig it out. I would prefer not to use non-organic pesticides and can't imagine they would touch this brute, anyway.

Any tips would be most gratefully received.