Pond Street Nora

Originally posted by pitsmoorboy

Message to Porsche Did Nora have a sister called Annie?

as far as my mum can remember no

Originally posted by tattoo

In fact my dad was only talking about that happening a couple of weeks ago.But now as an adult i look at it all differently.Obivously something has to happen to all of the people who live lives like these,for them to live thier lives under the circumstances in which they do (or did).Its so sad that nothing could be done to help these people have a better quality of life.Thankfully times have changed, people are more tolerrent and more help is available for these unfortunate people. But Porche, never ever be ashamed of your roots,even if Nora had been my mother i would never have been ashamed of her.Yes, she was different, but something really dreadfull must have happened to make her the way she was.It wasn't her fault,it was a set of cicumstances whos culmination led to the way Nora was.She was certainly a pal to my sister for a while anyway.And in my family at least we remember her with a smile on our mouths.

well said thanks for the information

Originally posted by porsche

well said thanks for the information

does anybody know the person who painted a murial in marples on fitzalan square it was people from sheffield i believe nora was on it ive been told if you know the person or are that person please let me know thanks

no my mum says she didnt

Can anybody remember the local character Pond Street Nora in the 1970's? She could often be seen sitting on the benches in the old Pond Street bus station surrounded by all her belongings stuffed in carrier bags. I can remember seeing her for a decade or more then she disappeared. I wonder what became of her.

Mo

I used to go down to Pond Street a lot with my mate Pete Croxton. We often used to sit with Nora and give her the odd ciggy of buy her a cup of coffee. She could certainly shout, although she never scared us and we thought she was a good laugh. Was thinking about her recently and wondered what had happened to her, so glad I found this site. One thing that intrigued me with Nora is something she used to say, ie "You'll not go down Princess Street no more, f---er you". I wonder what she was referring to! Any ideas anyone? Wonder if it had anything to do with the Sheffield Gangs. Anyway, Pete and I thought she was ok.

My nan? Doubt you'll know her. But, her name was Charlotte Goodwin (her maiden name was Carrier) Married me grandad Dennis Goodwin and lived at Attercliffe before moving to the Manor Park in probably 1956/57. Lived there up until they both died about 5/6 years ago.

Chloé

Hi Chloe I think i knew your granddad do you know if he had brothers Derek ,Jimmy ,sisters Amy Joan i dont recall all of them a big family i thnk he was a miner in his early working life, they lived on Earldom st

Pond Streey Cyril died in a shop doorway in the late seventies and left thousands of pounds in his bank account. I think I read it in the Star years ago. Can anyone else confirm this?

like it was yesterday shouting and swearing at everybody always scratching her self between the legs. I can see her now with fag in gob and wearing her head scarf trying to chat the blokes up and then swearing like hell at them, when they told her to pee off and go and bother somebody else she always sat in the first part of the bus station at the bottom where the wooden seats use to be. oh yes I can remember her and the other tramps what she knew who use to sit with her. but can you remember big cyril who use to sleep in the C&A doorway always walked around with a dog in tow and always had is mouth wide open or what about vineger liz you could smell her at about 1000 yards she was that bad.

I remember pond st nora. As kids we would torment her and she would chase us, by could she run.

The last I saw of her was in the middlewood mental hospital, around 1981.

Middlewood has now closed.

ah brings back memories.I remember pond street nora,iva wello and of course good old noddy, used to talk to him on the 8 foot near holgate ave.

most of all i miss the hot chestnut stall in the sheffield bus shelter.