Pond Street Nora

The chap that walked around looking in waste bins we used to call Rommel, he always wore a pair of welding goggles a long raincoat and I dont remeber him ever wearing a shirt.

Nora was well known to us bus inspectors in the old Pond St bus station. She was once told to move on by "Bob Tanner" the Chief Inspector, she could often be seen after that walking round shouting "Ill get you, f.....G Bob Tanner" Quite a character, she eventually was taken in at Middlewood hospital, and given some sort of job in the kitchens.

Me and my friend Joan popped into pond street toilets on our way home from seeing Dave Berry above the Frechville Co-op, I opened the toilet door and there was Nora all tucked up for the night on the floor, she chased us up those stairs and out of Pond Street, we ran as fast as our stilletoe heels would allow, I think she'd had more to drink than us, so we made it to Fitzalan Square unscathed.

I remember going to school one day, used to have to catch the bus at pond st, there used to be some flowers by a cafe somewhere near the station I think (the memories fading!) cant remember the name, anyway all the tulips had no flowers on and I remember being told Nora ate all the heads off the tulips. Thats my one great memory of Nora, that and the fact that the only word you could make out she was shouting began with F...

The bald headed guy in Flat St who used to look in the litter bins

was nicknamed Rommel by some people because he used to wear welding goggles a gaberdine raincoat no shirt and always seemed to wear wellingtons

pond stret nora,the duke,and rommel must seem strange to the younger folks on this forum,so for them i mention the tall bloke with the extremely baggy cheeks who picks up all the dog ends in town and lights them up without burning his nose.(though he probably has no hair up there)!

also the guy who walks round with a pair of 1970's style bukta shorts on whatever the weather.

And one last one for anyone who lived on parson cross in the 70's,can you remember Eddie Bedstead who used to hang around the shops on buchanan road.

I remember Nora.

I used to be terrified of going to the toilet in the bus station if she was there, and being a child all I could see was a 'Wild Woman' who shouted and swore at everyone especially the kids. Mind you a lot of the kids were very nasty to her so in a way, looking back I don't really blame her!

Us Oldtimers remember "Big Aida" Now she was notorious in the 40's & 50's..I'll bet theres a lot of stories about her adventures..I last saw her when I was 19 years old.in the old Albert Pub...She was Scarey.

Was she the one with the weighing scales or did she sell flowers or something on Dixon Lane

Originally posted by rainbow2411

Was she the one with the weighing scales or did she sell flowers or something on Dixon Lane

Yes she was the one Selling Flowers...A Policeman once remarked about her " I woudn't p**s on her if she was on fire...She was very popular with them.

Littlemalc. Just read your post about 'us bus inspectors'. Did you know my uncle Alf Stones? He was an inspector for many years. I last saw him in 1964, wnen I was a driver at SCTD, and I know he was an inspector then.

for anyone who lived on parson cross in the 70's,can you remember Eddie Bedstead who used to hang around the shops on buchanan road

No but I can remember Sammy, who used to hang around Margetson Crescent, where my dad had a shop