Pond Street Nora

I remember Pond Street Nora. Also there was Cyril. He used to come in our fish and chip shop in the Wicker. Usually we used to pass his food through the little window. It’s a shame,  they obviously had some mental issues. As someone else said, he was found dead in British Home Stores shop doorway.

There were only a few people like that in the whole of Sheffield.    Those people really needed help. People were a lot poorer then. It wasn’t a lifestyle choice . Most of the people you see in shop doorways, need to get off there backsides, get rid of their dog and help them selves. 

On 12/12/2018 at 5:41 PM, John Ashmore said:

I remember Pond Street Nora. Also there was Cyril. He used to come in our fish and chip shop in the Wicker. Usually we used to pass his food through the little window. It’s a shame,  they obviously had some mental issues. As someone else said, he was found dead in British Home Stores shop doorway.

There were only a few people like that in the whole of Sheffield.    Those people really needed help. People were a lot poorer then. It wasn’t a lifestyle choice . Most of the people you see in shop doorways, need to get off there backsides, get rid of their dog and help them selves. 

I don't remember her as I am too too young. But I have asked others who are older who do. Awwwwww that's really sad about him. I have heard about him. I always wonder where his family were? didn't they miss him? I accept that but some of them genually are homeless and it's catch twenty two I am afraid. They cannot get a job without an address. Or cannot get an address without a job. I am sure the majority do not choose to be like that. They have no family or anyone to turn to. I did a sleep out in September 2015 for The Cathedral Archer Project. in Sheffield. I spoke to a lot of them who were with us all night. One male who had been like that for twenty odd years. He fell out with his mother and step father as he didn't like who his mother had married. A few months later he was sleeping rough. It isn't as cut and dried as you like to think or assume. Others their families had sadly lost them years earlier to alcohol and drug addiction. Probably in the rush during the eighties. I don't really see what them having a dog has anything to do with it. If they want to have a dog to keep them company in that situation then that is their choice. As long as it's fed and look after that is all that matters. 

The lad who had been like twenty odd years took us for a tour around all the places where they sleep. Cardboard city behind King Street near the markets. One person was asleep with his girlfriend behind a bin and someone peed on them. absolutely disgusting they should have been arrested and convicted for that. Just because these people are homeless they are still people. I disagree that it is a lifestyle choice now. I don't think that those in that position choose or want to be like that. People aren't poor now because the benefits system is a buffer for people to rely on. You are actually better off on benefits than working. You received less years ago. I think the authorities in this country have a lot to answer for. Why are there so many empty council houses yet so many people without a home? so many homeless. So many families in temporary accommodation. I watched a program about the council housing system in Southhampton. The council turned away a homeless man who was washing in a public toilet. Who they said that apparently they couldn't help. Yet could help a unemployed single mother who had a perfectly nice council property. Who wanted to move as she didn't like that her flat/house  was high up. I rest my case that the councils up and down the country are failing those in need. Yet pandering to the whim of selfish, irresponsible, stupid, ungrateful people like this woman who at least should have bee thankful and grateful that she at least had a roof over her head. The councils are all the same no matter where you live. It is an absolute disgrace. Why is the mental health services not helping those who need it? why is the benefits system allowing itself to be exploited? it's maddening the country is a an absolute joke. :( :( 

Edited by TinStar
Spelling Error

It was indeed a shame about Cyril Griffin; he worked at Firth Browns as an electrician but was badly affected when his parents died and somehow became homeless. I used to see him in the early 1970s, in the early mornings when I started work to let cleaners in. I would occasionally chat to him and give him a drink from the machine - "tea with sugar" he would always say.  You tend to think about these people at Christmas - as you say, TriStar, they don't choose to be like that and there must be many on the streets tonight.

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2003 at 11:56, Guest Guest said:

Probably both dead, I remember the duke of darnall in the fifty's standing at the top of Angel street directing the traffic, ( where the policeman used to stand on point duty ) dressed in his usual black bowler hat, pinstripe trouser's, frock coat and rolled umbrella waving his hand's about,( just like the policeman) with traffic zooming past him not taking a blind bit of notice. He once jumped out in front of me when I was driving a double deck bus down the moor and I had to hit the brakes throwing my conductress flat on her face on the top deck. The duke of darnall was not responsible for his action's, he should have been kept in a secure, safe place instead of being let loose on the community. :roll::roll::roll: Hal. Evans.

he had a girlfriend called Russian Edna ,she got murdered and he was accused but wasn't charged so case went cold

I remember when my mum took us to town,I was about 6yrs old,there were 2 sisters who had a wheelchair and would take it in turns to ride in it up High Street,they were quite large ladies and they would argue about who's turn it was to push,,anyone else remember them?

14 hours ago, Odie said:

he had a girlfriend called Russian Edna ,she got murdered and he was accused but wasn't charged so case went cold

I don't know about Russian Edna (found dead in High Hazels park) being the Duke's girlfriend but the case did not go cold as a Darnall lorry driver was convicted for the crime.

Edited by St Petre
Add

On 12/12/2018 at 18:41, John Ashmore said:

My mum used to work in that chippy and often talked about subway cyril coming over at closing time for a free supper.

I remember her very well washing her feet in the sink at the toilets under the town hall singing and swearing at the top of her voice 😊

On 20/07/2020 at 17:43, Deborah a said:

I remember her very well washing her feet in the sink at the toilets under the town hall singing and swearing at the top of her voice 😊

Awwwww Deborah thats so lovely. It was tragic in a way though. How so many people in Sheffield ended up like that. :( :( 

Norah Kathleen Welbourne was born 06.11.1915, she married Tom Lee in 1942, their daughter was born 1945, I believe she's posted on here about her upbringing so, no need to speculate about this.

Norah died in 1986.

Just putting the offical  record straight.

Regards,

Duffems

The likes of Nora and the Duke wouldn’t last five minutes these days, due to the violent nature of today’s ‘street life’. They somehow added something to Sheffield City Centre that is sadly missing today.