Pond Street Nora

yea i remember him come to think of it there was two guys poss same height with bald head and the one im thinking of in the poss late 50/60s wore a r.a.f. long coat and if my mind is correct i heard he was a ace in the war in spitfires and it sent him a bit funny after he came out of the hospital also i was told he was decorated for him being a hero etc.

You are correct, he used to nick a flower from the Peace Gardens, to put in his great coat lapel. Strange how we treat our heros, nothing changes. :(

Can anybody remember the local character Pond Street Nora in the 1970's? She could often be seen sitting on the benches in the old Pond Street bus station surrounded by all her belongings stuffed in carrier bags. I can remember seeing her for a decade or more then she disappeared. I wonder what became of her.

Mo

I worked in Sheffield in the 60's and I too remember Nora. She certainly looked passed child bearing age to me back then. I worked at the Sleep Shop at the time and often used Pond St station. I remember her in 'pumps' and being tall and lean and smoking a lot. I seem to remember seeing her for the last time for me, near the railway station one dark winters night standing in a small que at a food stall I think, getting a cuppa possibly.

I remember her giving me a dirty look as I walked by.

I can't remember seeing her again as I moved to Proctors in the Haymarket for a time.

I have often thought about her and how she ended up.

This site is great for this history. :D:D :D

This part of the Forum is certainly good for history, and post #45 on this thread (written by Nora's granddaughter) gives the facts about Nora. The BMD records confirm that Norah Kathleen Welbourn was born in Sheffield on 6 November 1915. She married Tom Lee in Jan.-Mar. 1942, gave birth to a daughter Kathleen M. Lee in Jul-Sep 1945 and died in March 1986 aged 70.

Hi i remeber pond st nora last time i saw her she was in middlewood hospital

A recent book from 'The Star' called 'Sheffield Folk - there's nowt like 'em' by Bob Horton has a comprehensive section on Sheffield characters including Pond Street Nora and the other usual suspects which is a good read. (Incidentally, I have no connection with this book whatsoever)

anyone remember pond street nora she was a sheffield icon .

There are numerous threads on Pond St Nora already. I think you may find them on a search, maybe they are in the history and expats group?

An absolutely increadible thread that brought many memories of my teen years.

Some very moving posts.

Best wishes especially to Porsche and family.

well ive read this thread from start to finish and its took me the good part of 2 hours. ive laughed my head off and cried tears of sadness and found it all very very interesting and eductional. i remember nora and a few others aswell. like the chap who used to ride a honda 50 into the hole in the road and get a box of weetabix out of the top box pour on his milk and sit there to eat it, then put it all away again and go park his bike up somewhere then go back to the hole in the road to sit and watch the world go by. im glad that porshe and fiat 500 found each other, but at the same time feel sad, because my mother has told me that we are related to big ada, but because of the stigma attached my grandma wouldnt say anymore than that. shes now sadly gone so i suppose ill never know. the pond street nora crowed will always be fondley rememberd by me and werent half as frightening as the idiots on the streets now " muggers, junkies and worst still the pc brigade ".

well ive read this thread from start to finish and its took me the good part of 2 hours. ive laughed my head off and cried tears of sadness and found it all very very interesting and eductional. i remember nora and a few others aswell. like the chap who used to ride a honda 50 into the hole in the road and get a box of weetabix out of the top box pour on his milk and sit there to eat it, then put it all away again and go park his bike up somewhere then go back to the hole in the road to sit and watch the world go by. im glad that porshe and fiat 500 found each other, but at the same time feel sad, because my mother has told me that we are related to big ada, but because of the stigma attached my grandma wouldnt say anymore than that. shes now sadly gone so i suppose ill never know. the pond street nora crowed will always be fondley rememberd by me and werent half as frightening as the idiots on the streets now " muggers, junkies and worst still the pc brigade ".

Nice post and i remember the guy with the breakfast kit that he used to pull out of a brown attache case and he usually sat on the benches in the hole towards the Pinstone St end facing the aquarium, most times i walked by, he'd be there!

Sometimes he used to bring an easel and sit there doing a painting and it was rumoured he was a very intelligent fellah...

I seem to remember he had a dark beard and a nick style hat and a big brown mac.

Poor old Nora, I remember whenever I was waiting for the number 41 she was always sat there on the wodden benches. I remember once she just sat shouting "I'll be sat ont f*cking saddle" over and over again. She once shouted at me " Nar then does thar like potatoes and fish or fish and potatoes" . Harmeless old lady I suppose.

I worked on the buses from 1962 to 1965 and saw Nora lots of times but never knew the real story, thanks to Porshe, Fiat 500 and others that knew her, it is nice to see the records set straight, Nora is a Legend. What a wonderful thread this has been.