Pond Street Nora

My nan? Doubt you'll know her. But, her name was Charlotte Goodwin (her maiden name was Carrier) Married me grandad Dennis Goodwin and lived at Attercliffe before moving to the Manor Park in probably 1956/57. Lived there up until they both died about 5/6 years ago.

Chloé

hello no i dont know your nan but thank you for telling me about them

Yes, I remember Pond St. Nora in the 70s, I never got too near because of the stink she gave off. Does anyone remember long Sammy who used to ride a scooter ( not motor ) round Sheffield City Centre?

Reading other messages reminded me of a couple of incidents that happened round about 1979. Once in Commonside, Walkley with a couple of other teenage friends when a skinny little bloke on a mobelet type pedal moped pulled along side us, stopped and said "i like yer feet" and then shot off on his way. A couple of weeks later near the Hollybush pub in Rivelin exactly the same thing happened again......very strange...please someone tell me that i didn't dream it..

Anybody remember Russian Edna? She used to frequent the Barleycorn, near Barkers Pool!

Originally posted by tazlady636

:cry: unfortunately i heard pond street nora died a while ago,i was also told she went a little crazy because she had a child in the change and had it removed from her,poor lady to think somewhere there could be a child out there not knowing :(

i think she was hit with a bus some body told me that dont know if its true

Guest Ant

Hi, all.

Yeah, I remember Nora. I can remember her once singing "I'm Nora the queen of pond street bogs!" at the top of her voice.

My favourite though, was Happy Harry. He hung around the city center in a dodgy suit. Every now and then he'd suddenly throw his hands in the air and run down the street cheering and going wacky like he'd just won the lottery. Bit like Timmy Mallet.

I remember Pond Street Nora, and CAN confirm that she DID have a change of life baby. I was in ward 26 of the NGH expecting twins in 1975, when Pond Street Nora was brought up to the ward from the ante natal clinic to have a bath because the Docs refused to examine her until she was clean. I was on ward 25 after the birth of my twins when Nora was admitted after the birth of her child, a little girl ,the child was given for adoption. A beautiful child, I remember holding her while the nurses prepared her bottle.:lol: She had beautiful blonde hair, and was a big baby too.

Originally posted by Angel Aran

I remember Pond Street Nora, and CAN confirm that she DID have a change of life baby. I was in ward 26 of the NGH expecting twins in 1975, when Pond Street Nora was brought up to the ward from the ante natal clinic to have a bath because the Docs refused to examine her until she was clean. I was on ward 25 after the birth of my twins when Nora was admitted after the birth of her child, a little girl ,the child was given for adoption. A beautiful child, I remember holding her while the nurses prepared her bottle.:lol: She had beautiful blonde hair, and was a big baby too.

in 1975 nora was to old to have a baby she was old in 1964 do you have the same nora

Cant be, she was as old as my gran and i,m 44.

She certainly looked old in the 60s but living rough like that could make you look older anyway.

Even if she had a baby in the 70s which i find it hard to believe she did, that was not the cause of her downfall.

Who ever the father was he was a brave guy.

I remember Pond street Nora from the 70s,and I think she was too old to have any baby.I also remember the Duke of Darnell,with his white gloves and spats.Can anyone remember the old gentleman of the road that used to hang out in the Wicker?he used to have a little case and when he had something to eat he would get a little cloth out and put it on his case as a tablecloth.He was always polite and pleasant,that is why the called him Gentleman Jim.

I remember Pond Street Nora, she used to always wear a headscarf a dark brown coat and white running slippers.

When one of my sisters and I used to go to town we used to use the toilets in Pond Street. We used to be scared to go down the steps to them because Nora would always be laid down on the toilet floor with the door shut, bedded down for the night. she never came out but she would be shouting and we always saw her feet with the white slipperson sticking out under the door.

We would run quietly back up the stairs and breathe a sigh of relief that she didn.t get us.